Daily Check in September 27, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Re: Daily Check in September 27, 2020

Post by LWolfT »

LogicsHere wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:57 am Isn't me, Wolf. Have never made soup from scratch.
Oops, my bad. It was Prairie ... I was thinking it was your post. :oops:
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

G'd Morning Frugals,

Numbers are gradually improving. My fasting glucose was down to 160 and my small weight loss seems to be stabilizing. That needs to happen before any more weight loss. As you can see it will be a long slow process. However, what I will be putting together outfits from my smaller sized clothes; maybe about one per day. They will be nice to wear when I have lost enough and hopefully we will be safe going out again.

I started making a food inventory spreadsheet. I am using Google Sheets. It's working great. I had to get used to the automatic save idea. Initially I was making an entry then closing it to see if it saved and it does. I have not used Excel in years and the more I used it the more things came back to me, I have always enjoyed the fact it is so user friendly. Yesterday I logged in all of my dried beans and legumes. Today I will be logging in my dried and packaged rices. I am really enjoying this project.

Now that I am on the right track I did reopen my Facebook account but only to block those people who were making my life miserable. I am so happy to have them gone. I feel like I have finally ended a bad relationship.

To be continued....

Bev
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I have left my Facebook account on. I went through and deleted groups and pages that are either political or defunct. My next step is to go through and delete political and controversial posts on my page. But no big rush on that. The important stuff is done.

Since tracking my strict plant based eating and staying away from social media I am feeling a lot better and have more energy. Feathering my nest (or I should say squirreling away nuts for winter) has been a huge relief because I still feel like as we get closer before and after the election there will be disruptions and I want to be prepared to handle that. Also, now that flu season is here that coupled with the potential second wave of covid-19 will force me to stay at home even more. Even though I feel like I am starting to get my health issues under control I will always be medically fragile. Reversing diabetes is not a cure.

I have more projects I want to do as time goes on. There is talk about schools reopening as soon as next month but I do not intend to go back to work. I will never feel safe. I have cancelled subscriptions, cancelled all of my wine club memberships and will be doing other things to trim the budget. I have spent a lot this month on stockups and that may likely continue at a lesser amount for the next month or so. The great thing about dried beans and legumes is their long shelf life. I am still eating dried beans and legumes I bought almost four years ago and they are fine. The only difference is if they are older they require a 24 hour soak in the fridge and more cooking time.

Well I'm off to continue my spreadsheet and also listen to a couple of podcasts. Take care and stay safe.

Bev
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Bev, the great life clean up you are doing must feel wonderful.
Mackie
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Mackie, it really does. My diabetic numbers were getting out of control and my GP was not happy about it. I am trying really hard to not have to go on insulin. Right now I am on 2000 mg of Metformin per day and I was only taking half of that with better numbers before this pandemic and election junk started. According to several sources it is possible to reverse type 2 diabetes, heart disease, coronary disease, etc. by adopting a strict whole foods plant based diet. This dovetails nicely into having a good inventory of food for lesser cost. I still have to keep some meat items on hand for DS so he doesn't order takeout but he does like some of the vegan foods I have. I am phasing out Beyond Meat type of items because they do taste good but I am told have quite bit of vegetable fat. The whole idea of my diet is to try to phase out as much as possible even of the good fats. The fats are what block the insulin from getting into my cells and that has to change.

Bev
Last edited by BevMoore on Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

My household right now includes two diabetics and a 30 year old with appalling eating habits. I have given up on changing them and cook healthy meals. If they eat them, great. If not, I have leftovers for my lunches.

I did a pantry inventory last weekend and came up with a lot of canned soup to donate to the university food shelf. It's all too high in sodium for me, so it was nice to have a good home for it.

In other things, DH helped me give the dogs a bath and they look beautiful. They smell great too. Their moisturizing shampoo has almond oil in it, so they smell a little like cookies for a while.
Mackie