Daily Check In November 24, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In November 24, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Off to get some coffee, but will start us off.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In November 24, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It is a chilly morning here on the prairies, the temperature is -8C which really isn't too bad for this time of year. But factor in the breeze and it feels like -17C. I will probably head out for a short (and I mean pretty short walk) 8 or so block walk once the sun comes up.

Busy and frugal day ahead. I plan on baking bread, finishing off a couple of letters, folding the clothes from the lines downstairs, sewing my new nightie, and cooking all meals here at home. Really, pretty much an ordinary day here on the old homestead. I am not an exciting person at all, in fact I think I am probably the most boring person on the planet at times. Mind you boring and ordinary, are not necessarily a bad thing.

The quest to empty the fridge freezer is moving right along. I should be able to reorganize it by the end of the week. Lots of bits disappearing from the depths so to speak.

I mentioned sewing a new nightie today. That was the number of the project I drew on Sunday night. Yesterday I pulled the fabric, pattern, thread and got it all cut out. Today, an hours sewing should in fact see it finished. I am using a knit fabric so I do not have to worry very much about how to finish the seams. I may just use the pinking shears on them.

Other little Tuesday jobs include cleaning off my desk, a tiny bit of ironing (a mask and a shirt of Hubbys), but no mending which is strange.

Supper tonight will be something made with the leftover roast beef I plan on pulling from the fridge freezer, along with some homemade fries hot beef sandwiches could be on the menu for this evening.

Today I am grateful for email and social media (even though both sometimes drive me crazy) to keep in touch with those I love.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

It will be in the mid 40s today and mostly sunny; not bad for a November day.

I really need to find a way to sleep through the night. I get a few hours, wake up and then I'm awake for an hour or so. I let myself toss and turn for a while, then have to get up. Then I go back to bed. Some of the seminars I attend via my Vitality Group stress the importance of sleep and how a broken night's sleep isn't as good as sleeping straight through.

Haven't planned anything special for today so I'll call it one of my spontaneous days. I did sign up for a 4 week lunch hour Zoom program sponsored by the County Health Dept and a Artis Senior Living. It starts tomorrow with Bingo at lunch and goes the following 3 weeks with art therapy, word games and name that tune. I have to say my area has truly gone out of its way to reach us seniors through this period.

Read the other day where our Governor Cuomo received the "International" Emmy Award (first time I've heard of it, but it does exist) for his coronavirus briefings. With the current upswing, he's back doing them. He truly wants all of us to stay safe. He had mentioned previously that he was having Thanksgiving dinner with 2 of his daughters and mother, but as of yesterday I understand he cancelled it and said he'd be working that day.

In my Monday chat we were talking about the coronavirus vaccines and the progress being made. I think two have started the process with the FDA (Pfizer and Moderna) and a third, AstraZenaca. The first 2 are currently showing a 94% +/- effectiveness while the third about 70%. The major difference is in storage with two of them needing to be kept in freezers, Pfizer specifically which needs to maintain a continous -70 degrees Celsius or it could be rendered ineffective, at a specific temperature which might make distribution logistics a bit difficult. Astra's only needs refrigeration. NY has also begun studying the data as well as the medical group my local hospital belongs to (Northwell Health). It still looks like the target of April availability for the first is accurate. I did miss a bit of the conversation but they said that two shots will be required. Just did a quick internet search and found the following: Large-scale trial results show that the AstraVeneca vaccine is 90 per cent effective if administered at a half dose and then at a full dose, or 62 per cent effective if administered in two full doses. It appears that Pfizer also announced that it would be making 2,000,000 dosages available to Florida first, my assumption being that there are more over 60 people living there than anywhere else? They are also designating the groups that get it first and so on down the line.

Tonight's menu includes a hot dog, potato and vegetable.

Today's designated honor goes to "Evolution Day". It is the anniversary of the publication of Charles Darwin's book: On the Origin of Species in 1859. His controversial theory turned the world upside down, in its thinking of how we came to be. It remains controversial to this day.

Have a nice day.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:08 am
Mind you boring and ordinary, are not necessarily a bad thing.
I agree with you 100% on "boring and ordinary".
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

It was a rough night. No sleep at all. Going to have to just do nothing today

my old pup just kept wanting to get off the bed, bark a while, then get back on. I'm am dragging

It is a gloomy day. No sun.

Getting ready to shower and wash my hair. Maybe that will wake me up.

I see a nap later today.

Have a good one
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Clem, I'm sorry you had a sleepless night. Those are the worst. Jackie, count me among the ordinary and boring crew. I hate drama and am quite content with my quiet life.

Happy Evolution Day to us all. I also want to thank you guys for my birthday wishes - I read each one with joy (actually, I read them a few times, lol). I had hoped to have the tree finished but, alas, I did not work on it at all yesterday. So it still needs all the ornaments and ribbon. It is a pre-lit tree and you can cycle through a bunch of settings to the one you want. I just keep it on the solid colored lights as that's what we both love. Besides that, there is only the Mitford village to set up. DH is supposed to do that for me, but we'll see.

This afternoon I'm scheduled to pick up our turkey dinner from Cracker Barrel at 3pm. I hope people will be wearing their masks and socially distancing inside. I'm a little nervous about it. I wish they had car-side pickup but they don't.

We are going to run out of bread by the end of the week unless I do a grocery order. But I think I'll make a loaf using my bread machine to mix it and then baking it in the oven. I'm sure I can find a good "sandwich" bread recipe. The one I usually make (that we love) is not the right texture for sandwiches.

Well, that tree's not gonna decorate itself soooo...
Patty