Reading the Alphabet

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Reading the Alphabet

Post by MackerelCat »

I am giving serious thought to saving up $50 and joining the Brooklyn (N.Y.) Public Library just to check out e-books online. You don't have to be a resident of Brooklyn or New York to do it.

I used to pay for new e-books by getting gift cards from Fetch Rewards for scanning my shopping receipts, but we buy so little now that it's taking me forever to build up to even a $3 gift card. I can save up pocket money a lot faster to fund the library membership.
Mackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

rinty wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:23 pm The books are even better , there are around 20 or so I think . The writing is very good and so is the historical detail x
Must look for them.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Well, I ORDERED a book for an online book club that I have joined, It's called Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less. The last two books (Atomic Habits, Your Money or Your Life) I requested from the Library and never picked them up - so I ended up listening to them free on YouTube - in terrible computer voices.

I decided that this is a book I want to own, since I tend to lean toward minimalism and want to see what this book has to offer.

Not gonna lie friends, I have NOT been successful at "reading the alphabet" - maybe in 2022.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Got to play catch up here.

My "J" book was Julius Caesar, "I" book was I Have Heard this Song Before , "K" book was Kitty Confidential, "L" book was Left to Die.

I am now working on "M". Though I might give this a bit of a rest for awhile and read a couple of free books (or really cheap ones) that have caught my interest. This is what happens when you are not allowed to do anything. You get caught up on all your reading.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Finished my "m" book. Murder at the Vineyard. Now I will read another F book (a novella) before moving on to the next book on the list.
Jackie
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I am not even remotely as disciplined at Jackie about this, but have read surprisingly more than expected:

A. The Artful Egg by James McClure (a murder mystery set in apartid-era South Africa)
B. The Body by Bill Bryson
C. The Crocodile Bird by Ruth Rendell
D. Dog in the Dark by Gerald Hammond
E.
F.
G. The Ghosts of Eden Park by Karen Abbott (a true story about a clever and brutal Prohibition-era bootlegger and the woman who brought his empire down)
H. H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald and Hidden Valley Road by Robert Kolker
I. In the Valley of the Sun by Andy David (a terrific modern vampire Western that held up well to a second read)
J.
K.
L.
M.
N.
O. Operating Room Confidential: What Really Goes On When You Go Under by Paul Whang, MD & Organizing Her Life by Laura Saunders
P. The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donahue (re-read it because it's wonderful)
Q.
R.
S.
T. This is the Story of a Happy Marriage by Ann Patchett & This Won't Hurt a Bit (can't remember author)
U.
V.
W. Whose Dog Are You? by Gerald Hammond & The Wide Night Sky by Matt Dean
X.
Y.
Z.
Mackie