Daily Check In January 4, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Daily Check In January 4, 2021

Post by chocolite »

It's been one of those nights. I've been up and wide awake since about 3:00, so I figured I'd get us started for the day. My stomach is in knots over politics these days, and I will be glad when January 6th is behind us.

I did a Kroger pick up yesterday and got everything I need for the next week and beyond. I'm trying to keep us to $100 or less each week, with varying success. This was a good week in that I kept to my goal. I scored a large (8 pounds) pork shoulder roast on sale that will become pulled pork barbecue in the near future. Since we don't have a grill, I do it in the oven. Start it at a high temp, then roast it low and slow. DH loves barbecue. I'm not as big a fan, but I do like it every now and then. I actually like mine better than most "barbecue joints" around here. I prefer the Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce and we have that in the pantry.

I'm still slowly taking down Christmas around here. I need to change out my garden flag, but it was damp and cold pretty much all weekend. Today is supposed to be sunny and warmer, so I plan on doing that today. We still have the tree up, and I may keep it up till next weekend...not sure. It's such a luxury to me that I am actually retired and can do these things whenever the mood strikes, instead of having to cram everything in over a weekend or during precious days off.

My cousin is in the hospital with Covid and is not doing well. They say his liver and kidneys are not doing well. He's supposed to get more scans today to see if they can figure out exactly what's going on. We were so very close growing up. He's only a few months older than me, and we were pretty much inseparable as kids.

Today I plan to oil our teak shower bench, do some Christmas packing up, and figure out something for supper. We had spaghetti with meatballs last night, but I only made enough to use up the leftover meatballs from NYE. So there's really not enough left over for both of us. Hopefully DH will eat it for lunch in the next day or so. I've got dibs and dabs of a couple of side dishes so whatever else I make, tonight is going to be clean out the fridge night.

I continue to be scared about my foot/nerve issues. I did reach a sort of milestone over the weekend, though. I am now able to spread my toes on my left foot. I haven't been able to do that since September, so I'm taking that a sign of hope that the terrible "electric current" sensations will eventually go away.
Patty
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In January 4, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Up, pill taken, waiting 30 minutes for coffee, not a happy camper. Coffee is definitely needed when I first wake up in order to function with a semblance of normalcy. Oh well, small problems in the face of other things.

Busy day today, laundry, mopping floors, dusting, vacuuming and numerous other small and larger household tasks. However, all will be done and I should even be able to get a walk in somewhere (probably later in the afternoon and not a very long one). I did not do any extra cleaning yesterday, unless you count cleaning out emails, and tidying files on the computer as cleaning. I will stick in those two quick and easy chore from yesterday and get them done today at some point.

Finished one side of the small poncho I am knitting and cast on the second side. I even managed to knit a couple of inches. I should be able to get the second side done by the end of the week and move on to finishing a couple of other small projects before hitting the hand quilting once again. I am really liking the historical temperature blanket. I should be able to do the rest of January today and get ready to start February. Hubby and I sure got married in a warm winter month according to the temperatures I found to use.

Somewhere in my day I need to start a rough copy of a letter that will be sent to the church (actually three of pretty much the same letter to three different entities in the church). Decision to remove myself from the Pastoral Council after about 28 years of serving is now made. Hopefully I don't get put back on in another capacity without my knowledge.

That's my day pretty much in a written out plan. I may make a couple of phone calls, and perhaps do some more decluttering. My tree and its decorations will need to wait for another day or two before being taken down. Of course there will be plenty of rest between chores, I do not want to aggravate or re-damage my back.

Supper tonight is going to be the leftover mushroom meatballs I froze, along with leftover rice from last night, and since we finished off the coleslaw I will make some more.

Today I am grateful for warm slippers and shawls to wrap up in on chilly mornings.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

chocolite wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:06 am It's been one of those nights. I've been up and wide awake since about 3:00, so I figured I'd get us started for the day. My stomach is in knots over politics these days, and I will be glad when January 6th is behind us.
I so hope that those who are fighting against what your election chose do not do anything stupid. Really all they are doing is drawing closer and closer to causing a rift that will never be forgotten and more than likely never healed.
Jackie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

chocolite wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:06 am
My cousin is in the hospital with Covid and is not doing well. They say his liver and kidneys are not doing well. He's supposed to get more scans today to see if they can figure out exactly what's going on. We were so very close growing up. He's only a few months older than me, and we were pretty much inseparable as kids.
I will keep your cousin in my prayers.
Jackie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

It's going to be a partly cloudy day with the temp reaching the low 40s; ok by me. The "snow" they forecasted just left it's mark on the grass and the car tops as forecasted.

Up late today. Went back to sleep around 4:00A after waking up from a strange dream and woke up when my sister called. Then she kept me on the phone for an hour. Today will be a same old same old kind of a day. Nothing special, but keeping it spontaneous.

My menu for tonight is leftover spaghetti and is perfect timing as today's designated day is National Spaghetti Day.

Spaghetti is one of approximately 350 types of pasta. It is by far, the most popular. Many people think of Italy and Italian cuisine, as the birthplace of spaghetti. In reality pasta, or macaroni, dates back to ancient times. Ancient cultures were cooking pasta noodles well before they were introduced to Italy and other parts of Europe. Arab cultures were selling dried spaghetti-like noodles in open markets in the early 1200's and the Chinese were cooking pasta noodles as far back as 5,000 B.C.

While ancient cultures were making and eating spaghetti and other pastas well before it came to Europe, it's the Italians who popularized it in cuisines. It was introduced into the United States through the travels of Thomas Jefferson, who brought it back from Naples, Italy in 1789. Italian immigrants also brought it over with them to the U.S., where its popularity quickly spread.

Spaghetti in Italian means thin string or twine.

Did you know that Americans consume about 20 pounds of pasta per person per year?

Have a great day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I had a restless night. Pippi first wanted to get up around 2:30 and I said no. Finally I think I got up around 5 and gave her her first breakfast. I got up around 7:30 I think. It is all kind of a blur.

Today my county begins taking reservations for the Covid vaccine for those of us 65+. They will open the phone and online systems at noon. I’m sure they will be overwhelmed but I’ll give it a try.

Later I’ll go to mom’s house for a bit. I already have 2-3 bags of leaves to put out for trash pickup tomorrow so I may or may not work in the yard today.

I’ve gathered some things to donate and would like to drop them off but the one time I dropped off donations since the virus, the people there were not wearing masks. The donation spot is outside the back of the store but still. The past few days my county has had 732 positive cases, 1335 (over two days) and 540 yesterday. So our numbers have pretty much doubled from the 250-300 we were seeing.

Last night, I watched the Amazon Prime movie Seberg about actress Jean Seberg. It did not get good reviews but I enjoyed it. The lead was Kristen Stewart who I usually don’t care for but she was excellent. I’ve requested Jean Seberg’s most noteworthy movie, Breathless, from the library. It is French so I’m assuming there will be subtitles. It is at a different library so will take a few days.

I’m still studying Chinese most every day. I’ve learned a lot but still could not hold a conversation or understand someone unless they spoke really slowly. I’ve decided that one of the holidays I’ll “celebrate” on my holiday list is Chinese New Year, Feb. 12.

Have a good day.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.