Daily Check in Jan 20, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in Jan 20, 2021

Post by clemencia2us »

jckitty wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:21 pm Well my make up is ruined...LOL I keep getting teared up watching the Inauguration.
So inspiring, so hopeful...I can feel the LOVE and I am basking in it.

Roofers are gone...blessed quiet and the sun is shining.

The poet...Amanda Gorman...amazing and inspiring..
JCKitty
all the performances were beautiful.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:15 am I just received a long letter from a friend in the D.C. area. She worked for 20 years in the U.S. Senate library, retired three years ago and told me tales of former colleagues who were in the Capitol on Jan. 6. Whoa! Just one example: her 2 women librarian friends sprayed a fire extinguisher at rioters trying to break into their office.

But what I really wanted to mention was the U.S. Mail. My friend said that my card and letter to her were postmarked Dec. 17 and she received it on Jan. 7. The Kohls certificate I mentioned yesterday was dated Dec. 23-Jan. 5 and I received it on Jan. 9. I hope that this was just the Christmas overload and not the way things are going to be. My friend wrote her letter to me on Jan. 12 and I couldn’t read the postmark and I received it in yesterday’s mail. Of course there was the MLK holiday.
could it be all the issues with the mail is due to DeJoy or whatever his name is - following orders to stop mail in ballots? Lots of people are complaining of not receiving there 600 dollars. Supposedly mailed out Jan 6.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I have not received my check. But I always expected it to take two weeks at the minimum so today is the first day I've even started paying attention and looking for it. I mean if they dumped a million mail pieces into the system all from one place...
rinty

Post by rinty »

jckitty wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:21 pm Well my make up is ruined...LOL I keep getting teared up watching the Inauguration.
So inspiring, so hopeful...I can feel the LOVE and I am basking in it.

Roofers are gone...blessed quiet and the sun is shining.

The poet...Amanda Gorman...amazing and inspiring..
JCKitty
It was lovely, I did not expect Kamala Harris taking the oath to make me cry buckets but it did . There was also a lovely thing on our TV of the " field of flags " with a background of your national anthem. Breathtaking, they must use the " field of flags " again, its spectacular.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Over 1800 dead again today. Surely it must stop soon. I want to hunker down at home , the atmosphere at work is fearful, which is no surprise. The only good thing is I save 70% of my salary these days, and could save more if I put my mind to it.

The kids are concerned for DH and I can't blame them. I keep wondering why my throat is so scratchy at the end of the day and , of course, its the mask.

Tons to do, can't be bothered . The kids are on about visiting which can't happen and DH is convinced the dog is on his last legs which I am ignoring . Last year in lockdown he walked our socks off.

Have eaten far too much good homemade food. But with things as they are thinking of a Fast day as its getting too scary. Just heard of one person we know who had mum over at Christmas and she died 4 days ago, they all got it and another girl in the office just lost her dad.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:
For the first time in 4 years I feel like I can relax and feel less anxious...I am not comfortable letting my guard down completely but I am feeling so much more hopeful.

I have been watching the ceremonies and getting up and down doing things along with watching.
Surprisingly the mess from the roofing is way less than I thought it would be :shock:

I have the kitchen done except for the dishwasher . Laundry is done and wood in and woodstove cleaned out and restarted.

The 2 first floor bedrooms are cleaned except for the floors, I will run the floor cleaner on them later this evening...maybe... :?

Tomorrow I will work the top floor and do some more dusting downstairs. I am truly amazed and thrilled that the mess is not any worse.

My handyman company for lack of a better description is going to come out the first of next week to give me an estimate on the drywall repair that needs done. The roofing company is paying for the repair because they feel like it is their fault...they came thru the drywall in the kitchen. I did not ask for them to pay for it, they offered.

I will get the estimate but have serious doubts they can get it fixed really soon...they are so busy. But at least i will be on the list and know that it is going to be fixed.

I am going to relax for a bit.

JCKitty