Daily Check in Feb 16, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check in Feb 16, 2021

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal friends. We're at a blistering high of 23F. with gusty wind and light snow this morning. The highway department did do a good job salting the major roads after last night's rain, so I did not run into any ice when I came to work on a two-hour delay today. My car doors froze shut on the way to work this morning, though. Had to put some shoulder to it to get the driver's door open when I parked it.

I am getting sick students this morning and have been hopping around like crazy getting them checked in their isolation rooms.

My uncomfortable office chair is a lot more comfortable today, though, as I made a thin cushion for the seat out of sections of an old foam mattress pad and an microfiber pillow case that used to line the late Zippy Cat's bed when he was very old. I safety-pinned the pillowcase around the pad and made ties out of some yarn. It's not gorgeous, but my hip feels a lot better. A thick cushion throws off the lumbar support and made other things hurt, so this is just right.

I hope everyone who doesn't have heat gets it back on fast, and same with the water. Everyone take care.
Mackie
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good afternoon!

It's 18 and we've had snow flurries, but the sun is now out, which is nicely warming the house. Best I can tell, our snow was in the 7-inch range. I did get photos!

The HOA-hired plow guy is out, and I fear DH is going to have to dig his way in. But our next-door neighbors, bless then, shoveled off the remainder of the snow on our driveway. (We shall have to bake a thank-you treat.) So maybe a day or so of normal before the next storm.

My freelance client has come up with work, so have been dealing with that today. Dinner will be the last of the leftover pork. I may hunt for the other snow shovel in a bit and try to clear off the front porch.

Hoping things turn around soon for those of you without heat, power and water.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

12° here and it feels like 3°. The wind is brutal. At least the sun is out. Normally by this time every bit of snow would be gone from around here. Supposed to warm up to the upper 20s tomorrow, but more snow and/or sleet is expected - between 2 and 5". Yowza! I saw on the news that the city bought some new snow plows 8 years ago and this is the second time they've been used. I think we have a total of 28 - not very many when you consider Memphis is 324 square miles. So I'm definitely not expecting to see any in my neighborhood. I think they are concentrating on the interstates and the very most-traveled streets. It's fine, we are going nowhere.

Audrey is doing a bit better with going outside to potty. She veers sharp left from the back steps and stays right up against the house. Our house is on an incline, so the snow isn't as deep there. Sweet girl. No more walks for her though until the driveway/sidewalks are cleared. She stopped in her tracks in front of the house next door and I could drag her no further. Had to carry her back. She was like, Nope, not doing this. :lol:

I think tonight will be a choice of beef veggie soup or leftover chicken pot pie. Either one will help warm us up.
Patty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Bless Audrey's little toes, Patty. She's a smart girl to stay up against the house. That's going to be a crazy final snow total for Memphis.

I do not know what was going on around about last Friday, unless everybody really got into early Valentine's Day, but I will have at least ten new sick students over here before the day is over. Obviously caution was thrown to the winds! And we can't ask them to go home if they live within driving distance because the road conditions are so bad.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:55 pm Bless Audrey's little toes, Patty. She's a smart girl to stay up against the house. That's going to be a crazy final snow total for Memphis.

I do not know what was going on around about last Friday, unless everybody really got into early Valentine's Day, but I will have at least ten new sick students over here before the day is over. Obviously caution was thrown to the winds! And we can't ask them to go home if they live within driving distance because the road conditions are so bad.
Sick with the Covid?
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Still cold here. Sun was shining but now overcast. Most of the snow is melted. Didn't even get to enjoy it.

The COD ventured out to the store. His cats were out of food.

He said there were lines of people at the HEB and Wal-Mart. Lines around the stores. Waiting their turn to go in.

He ended up here in our local little store. More expensive, but hey you get what you need. He also picked up some burgers. Another long wait. said lots of folks buying takeout. Some can't cook at home. No power.

He bought more canned soup too.

Two more days of this according to the weather app.