Daily Check in February 21, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in February 21, 2021

Post by mbrudnic »

Good morning friends,
About to venture out to get my paper, but last I heard it is supposed to get above freezing. Let the meltdown begin. Turns out there are maybe 5 or 6 inches of snow on the ground. I went to pull the parent's trash and recycle cans back to the side of the house. I figured my Dansko shoes would be fine. Nope. Snow in my shoe.

Had to log in and do some work. Someday I'll get 2 days off in a row again.

I finally finished cutting up the T-shirts for the T-short quilt. When my friend brought them over, I asked if some were more special than others. All of them ended up in the "must use" pile. I could make 2 quilts, front and back out of the shirts I have. I am going to iron on the stabilizer and trim them to size and invite my friend over to help lay them out. Since it is a grad gift for her daughter, I have some time. The sewing together will go fast.

Have a great day,
Maggie

floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check in February 21, 2021

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Maggie, early in my work life I had a job where I got Thursday and Sunday off so I understand that you never feel refreshed with only one day off at a time. You need a break and I hope you can arrange it after your management changes settle down.

I’m up early on a Sunday with Pippi. I won’t complain because she ate great yesterday. I had the vet nurse put the Mirataz appetite enhancer on her ear and it really did seem to help. I’ll try to get some on her today. They say you have to use gloves and I now have better disposable gloves to use.

I plan to go to Publix today. More cat food and some other items for me.

Later in the day I’ll go to mom’s house. I was going to wait until tomorrow but there is a 50% rain chance on Monday. I’m dreading dealing with the leaves.

I signed up for Hulu yesterday and picked the $11.99 no-ad plan for my free month. Why not since I’m planning to cancel after the 30 days. I watched half of Nomadland and will finish it today. It’s good but different from the book. I’m also watching a show that is pure fluff on Netflix - Emily in Paris. It by the same producer as Sex in the City which I never watched. Love the Paris setting for this show.

Also I’m close to finishing my Copenhagen puzzle. It’s really pretty. Next I’ll start the puzzle I bought from the black-owned, women-owned puzzle company.

Stay safe, warm and healthy.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Morning Maggie and FloridaCat and All Frugal Friends. Maggie, hope you get some good down time soon! Florida, good luck with the leaves and all - I wish I could come and help!

It snowed more overnight but not too much - enough to cover up our tracks. It felt "warmer" when I went out to feed the cats - but who knows! The sun is starting to shine. The animals are all fed and settled - so enjoying my coffee and the quiet.

My daughter is starting to talk about the GARDEN that we're going to have - and I am getting quite excited about it! This is just what I need to help me "over the hump" to spring! She has so many packs of seeds and she is starting some of them indoors - the things that do better if you plant them as plants instead of seeds. We will have beets and kale and tomatoes and a lot of flowers. I'm going to get some seed potatoes because I love to grow potatoes.

I did a lot of cleaning yesterday. Between being exhausted from work and cooped up in the house, things were getting grungy. I wiped down all the baseboards and windowsills, took the throws off the sofas and washed them, vacuumed the furniture (dog hair anyone?). I was lacking motivation but kept going once I got started and it's nice to have things refreshed.

Today I have to cook for the upcoming week. There is a cabbage in the frige that dd bought that I don't know if it can be saved but I will see and I got a great price on 5 lbs. of carrots so I will use some of those. Want to make scalloped potatoes too - I still have celery to use up so will include that in the potatoes.

But first - a relaxing morning. I hope you all stay safe and warm and have a Happy Sunday.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

By gosh, it absolutely balmy out in comparison to other mornings, after watching Mass via the television, I may even venture out for an early morning walk about. Not very far as there has been a watermain break quite close to us and yesterday in the late afternoon the water was pouring over the curb like Niagara Falls (the American side of the falls, not the Horseshoe Falls here on the Canadian side), It did go below freezing so I imagine that the area the water flowed through will be pure ice at this time.

Today I work on dusting the living room and cleaning the man cave a bit. Then it will be upstairs with a few bits and bobs from the freezer and baking bread. While the bread is baking I hope to finish sewing the dress and cutting out the masks. Actually I am hoping to get those masks sewn as well. I think that I have enough prewashed silver/grey fabric to make another 5. Might take a look to see if there is some other prewashed cotton I could use as well. The DS's seem to like to steal a few every time they are home.

Once those projects are completed I will cut out a couple of sewing patterns just in case I can actually figure out a way not to be hunched over while sewing. Might just have done so, though things will have to be moved and the sewing machine left in position for the duration.

I am making a list to get a few things on Wednesday after the look of terror in Hubby's eyes after I told him he would be the one shopping....I really think I better stock up on what I can. I think he might have a problem with just getting milk, eggs and fresh veggies and fruit little lone anything else.

This will also be a no spend day which I love. The less I am out and about the better in my books.

I will be using up leftovers, and working on cleaning out the fridge. Things do gather in there. I am also going to make another black forest cake and that will be our dessert for the next few days. The cake part is already made I just have to put it together.

Watching "MacLeod's Daughters" on Prime and quite enjoying it and once that is over I will change back to Britbox and finish watching "Fawlty Towers". I am enjoying watching the old Brit comedies right now.

Supper tonight is supposed to be a roast pork, however as I want to use up as much as possible from the fridge freezer I will make a stir fry with a bag of leftover roasted pork. That should give us food for Tuesday as well.

Today I am grateful for the beautiful sunshine.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

Feel okay today. Have had one cup of coffee. The sun is out and we will be in the 60s today!!!

People still having issues around here. Some still do not have water. City will be passing out water today and tomorrow a mega food bank. Do people need food? All stores are empty and the open restaurants are packed - :shock:

I swear people go nuts. Driving around looking for things and then they run out of gas. And gas was in short supply too. Maybe we will all learn from this.

Lessons learned. Definitely need to store water outside for general use - not drinking. Need to freeze milk.

And bread.

The COD overdid these last two days and now his cold or whatever it is got aggravated. He needs it super warm in here, yet goes outside without his head covered or thick shirt. Just regular cotton long sleeved. Oh well.

Have a great day.

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Maggie, I agree....you need some downtime and I hope you get some soon.
I slept so good, of course I was tired as we went sledding yesterday at DD's
So much fun! I really didn't think I would do the actual sledding because of being sore from falling but I was the 2nd one down the hill. I couldn't help it....my inner child said lets go!!! :roll: The going down was awesome the walk back up the hill??? lets just say I felt out of shape :lol:

We spent 3 1/2 hours sledding , then had chili and fixings. So.. much.. fun! :lol:
I thought I would be sore but I am not. Truthfully I would go again today!

It is supposed to be a little warmer today, but crappy weather coming in tonight.
I will do my house chores and bring in wood, hopefully a calm and peaceful day.
I wish the same for all of you.

JCKitty