The Safe: What Would YOU Do?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: The Safe: What Would YOU Do?

Post by ohjodi »

If you decide to sell the safe, unopened, the buyer will likely pay to open the safe.........and the cost of that will have come out of what you are paid for the safe. If it costs $300 to open it, he will pay you $300 less than he would have if the safe was already opened.

So either way, you will pay to open the safe.

The risk is not finding a buyer that will pay at least the $300 you spent. And you're trying to sell a safe that has been "cracked". Depending on how it's done, it might not be able to be re-locked, or there has been a hole or two drilled into it. While the buyer would have paid to have that done, himself, a person sees his own "damage" done differently than the "damage" YOU do.

If I ding my own car, it's not as upsetting as if YOU ding my car, lol

There's unlikely to be anything in the safe.......I saw a youtube video of professional safe crackers, and they say it's rare to find anything at all. But there COULD be something in there, lol With the price of gold as high as platinum, a couple of rings could be worth a little bit.

The previous owner, being a packrat, probably wasn't the original owner......he bought it locked. So if he doesn't seem like he would have anything valuable to lock up, the contents could actually belong to someone who did have things of value.

But if that person's family thought there might be something, they would have opened the safe.

If it were me, I'd open it for $300, but first find out if someone would be willing to buy it for the same $300, because if it's cracked, then it's just a really heavy cabinet.
ohjodi
ChristmasTrees

Re: The Safe: What Would YOU Do?

Post by ChristmasTrees »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:37 pm It is very sad. All the man's clothing was thrown outside in garbage bags, all his personal belongings in boxes in the cellar getting moldy. I have sold a lot of things over the years. An old stereo, dishes, etc. There was an old Edison record player (played the smaller, heavy wax records - of which there were 10). That turned out to be worthless because someone had cut the legs off - but it looks lovely in my dining room.

I washed all his clothing and donated it. I saved two of those "pocket squares" that men wear in their suit pockets - really pretty ones - ironed them and framed them. They are hanging in my living room. I felt like some of his things should be appreciated.

I located the man's son and gave him the photos and other things from the war - along with his high school diploma and prom photo. He didn't even care when I told him that his father's old letters, etc. had to be destroyed because of mice and mold - and he was rather rude to me actually.
I loved that you washed all his clothes and donated them. I especially love that you framed the pocket squares.