The Safe: What Would YOU Do?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Re: The Safe: What Would YOU Do?

Post by SandiSAHM »

I feel like I can't go the rest of my life not knowing if there is anything in it.

Then you have to know what's in it ;)

It amazes me that people are around who break into safes and charge people for it.

Is it old enough to be an "antique" - where Rustoleum might diminish its value rather than enhance it? I have an acquaintance who spends a lot of time in antique stores lamenting how much a thing she's found would be worth if it hadn't been painted, refinished, had the leg glued back on... whatever.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

My $0.02 is that you should open the safe, as safely and cleanly as possible, even while accepting that this venture will cost a bit of ca$h.

For myself, I would Always wonder what is in the safe, and like another commentor said, you would be cleaning out your garage.

:)
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:10 am I would try Kitty’s idea of researching the company before hiring the locksmith. You never know.
I looked into the company about a year ago - Victor Safe & Lock Company from Cincinnati Ohio. They went out of business in the year 2000.

The particular safe I have won a prize at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis - so it's old.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

clemencia2us wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:36 pm open it!

I think it is sad that his family didn't even want to see what was in all that stuff.
It is very sad. All the man's clothing was thrown outside in garbage bags, all his personal belongings in boxes in the cellar getting moldy. I have sold a lot of things over the years. An old stereo, dishes, etc. There was an old Edison record player (played the smaller, heavy wax records - of which there were 10). That turned out to be worthless because someone had cut the legs off - but it looks lovely in my dining room.

I washed all his clothing and donated it. I saved two of those "pocket squares" that men wear in their suit pockets - really pretty ones - ironed them and framed them. They are hanging in my living room. I felt like some of his things should be appreciated.

I located the man's son and gave him the photos and other things from the war - along with his high school diploma and prom photo. He didn't even care when I told him that his father's old letters, etc. had to be destroyed because of mice and mold - and he was rather rude to me actually.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:02 pm My $0.02 is that you should open the safe, as safely and cleanly as possible, even while accepting that this venture will cost a bit of ca$h.

For myself, I would Always wonder what is in the safe, and like another commentor said, you would be cleaning out your garage.

:)
The garage got cleaned out a couple months ago - I hired a guy and he did an amazing job. The only things out there are the safe and my recycling bins. All my garden tools, etc. are hung up and it looks amazing - finally! I LOVE having it so pristine.

Charles M. Schultz
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

Don’t leave us in suspense! Open it! Lol