The Safe: What Would YOU Do?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Re: The Safe: What Would YOU Do?

Post by LWolfT »

I'm surprised the family didn't want to open it. (Maybe they didn't realize it was there?) It might hold info they would want or need.

At the very least, there might be info that should be securely disposed of.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

jckitty wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 am Sheila,
We had the same situation with a very old safe in my aunts basement...aunt and uncle were also packrats :shock: ...we used a lift to get it out of the basement and since it was on ancient rollers was able to roll it up into a truck and dad took it to his house.
Cleaned up the outside and found a metal plate with name of company, and a serial number. I researched the internet and found the company. If I remember correctly it had been sold and we found the currant company. After quite a few calls they sent the combination via mail. It is a very temperamental lock...a bear to open but we did it!

It did have stuff in it, mostly broken jewelry....and some paperwork from uncles deceased family. I have to say it was entertaining .

I think you should get it opened...
JCKitty
I would try Kitty’s idea of researching the company before hiring the locksmith. You never know.
GMPG54

Post by GMPG54 »

Find somebody with an arc welder.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

open it!

I think it is sad that his family didn't even want to see what was in all that stuff.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Shelia, is the "poor to fair" condition from rust? If so, and you decide to sell it, you can put a coat of Rustoleum rust neutralizing paint on it, which turns black, and have it looking much better. Someone might buy it for the novelty or for their business. Or if they're a weirdo who likes to lock their stuff up for decades. :)
Mackie
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Pay the price to get it opened. I'm like you -- I wouldn't be able to stand not knowing what's in there. It sounds like you'll be able to recoup at least part of the money when you sell it.
Patty