Daily Check in March 29, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in March 29, 2021

Post by clemencia2us »

Went ahead and planted some carrot seeds that the COD purchased. You really can't plant them individually, they are so small, so just spread them around and pat a bit of dirt on them

Once they sprout, i will transplant into rows

I am getting so sleepy............
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Update - my new bread maker works wonderfully. Both Dh and I agree that the bread taste s even better than what my old machine made. I used Jackie’s whole wheat recipe that doesn’t call for wheat gluten and it turned out just fine. I still intend to get the gluten and then can try to use some recipes included in the instruction book.

As far as your own bags - here you are allowed to bring your own, but if you do you’re also responsible for packing your own groceries. The conveyor belt is then thoroughly sanitized where you put your bags. In a way, it’s discouraged. It’s been a very long time since I was last physically in a store, but w e had some weeks with no cases. During that time I did return to in-store shopping just for some sense of normalcy.

Creative
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I wish I could be like my pets and just fall asleep anywhere - lol

I am sleepy but hate getting back in bed. I need to clear out the COD's stuff in the back bedroom and set up my sleep station - :mrgreen:

Move my fainting couch in there.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Looks like the storm has reached us. High winds and blowing snow. Looking south through my big front window and across the valley visibility has been impacted. By tonight visibility will probably be nil in the dark. Glad to be tucked up inside.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:00 pm Florida!

Thanks! Well, when I grew-up, in 10th grade my Dad, the only bread-winner in the house, got very ill. He was a commissioned salesman and one week, I made more money, at my grocery store job, than Dad did. We went through some VERY tough times until my mother got us signed up for free lunches at school and got a big gift of $$ from her sister's convent (Aunt Lil is a Daughters of Wisdom Nun in Ottawa). I laugh as I think back now but before we got the free government cheese and butter, all we had for Sunday supper one time was boiled potatoes and wild rice (which at the time was going for $16/pound). We had an ice cream pail of wild rice because my cousins up on Minnesota's Iron Range harvest it every year. We got a laugh out of that. Imagine, $16/pound and we were poor as church mice!

My Dad ended up spending most of the last years of my high school in the VA hospital in Sioux Falls, SD (30 miles away). It was good for him, for his health and he could also eat healthy. At home, my Mother got funding to train in business administration and I helped buy groceries with my grocery store money. The store's owner was friends with the family and Les would let me run a tab between paydays. I still remember the minimum wage in 1981 was $4.10/hour. I was living large! LOL

We all made it through until Dad's VA benefits and Social Security Disability came through. I guess, all those dire times made me a bit more resilient that my two older siblings who were out of the house by then. My little sister wasn't old enough to understand what was going on. So my mother and I forged ahead and here I am today! :-)

MJ
You are amazing MJ.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

We had ferocious wind here last night. Such typical spring weather.
My 12 yr.old DGD is making a pair of shorts for her sister for her birthday. I spent the morning helping her with cutting out the pattern...such fun.
Starting to clean up the property..lots of branches down and general springtime stuff.