Daily Check in March 30, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily Check in March 30, 2021

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,

Still in a broken sleep pattern, ugh ... not fun. I have had a terrible time getting "with it" today. Even the fiancé said I wasn't acting as chipper as usual.

I soaked beans overnight, making a small amount of cassoulet...well it was intended to be a small amount but like everything else I cook it has grown in quantity. It is freezable.

It is sunny, temps are up but very windy. Usual house chores and if the wind lays down maybe stick picking.

Off to try to get something done.
JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Poshmark is basically an online resale shop. You can get clothes, shoes, and accessories for the whole family there, and some home goods and decor. People sign up to be sellers -- they are called "poshers" -- and they list what they have to sell from their "closets." People who want to buy create an account and go browse.

There's a menu down the side for filtering what you're looking for. I wanted summer tops under a certain price, so I picked my size, the price limit, and chose "available," which showed me only what was for sale, not items that have already sold. And then I sorted the results by lowest price and looked through a lot of pages until I found a seller who had a closet with several items I wanted.

Some sellers are just cleaning out their own literal closets. Some are professional flippers who buy goods to resale, and some are combination. Prices vary from as low as $3 an item to the sky's the limit for designer goods. Items can be new with tags, new without tags, lightly used, etc. I have gotten some really good deals on things I could not find elsewhere, such as a lovely new coat sweater that I've worn all winter. It would have been around $90 new and I paid $22 for it.

All goods bought on Poshmark are sent by expedited shipping, which is something like $7.95, which adds up if you're just buying one item or single items from different sellers. So to maximize your money, you have to find someone who is selling several of what you need and will bundle the goods for one shipping fee and, ideally, offer a discount of, for example, 10 percent off if you buy several items from them at once. Some sellers also indicate that they are open to reasonable offers on top of the discount and bundling.

My offer was accepted, so I'm getting four tops for $24, plus $7.95 shipping, which is not bad at all. I really liked this seller because she took good photos of the clothing, including photos of the care and fabric content tags.
Mackie
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon beautiful people,

This is the first time I have sat down today so thought I’d do a check-in. Clem best wishes for your cousin and Gayle, I hope you’re able to stay awake. It’s terrible when your eyes get heavy and you actually catch yourself falling asleep at work. It’s happened to me a couple of times. And Floridacatlover so glad you could find such a good home for your knitting books. And very nice of you to offer the other craft items too!

I did my 35 minute weight loss walking program on the treadmill and followed with sit-ups and light weights. Clean mama reminded me to dust so I did a thorough job of the whole main floor - living room, dining room, family room and bathroom. And Diane in Denmark reminded me that the focus this week is on the bedroom. So I carried over the dusting to our bedroom and sorted out Dd1’s room which sadly has become a bit of a dumping ground 1- Amazon boxes and Dd2’s Poshmark items. It looks much, much better now. And I joined in a YouTube live presentation on budgeting. Still procrastinating on our taxes, but Dd2’s got mailed away today. Only a bill and some flyers in our mailbox today!

We tried out the dryer after it got repaired yesterday. I did a small load of laundry and it dried perfectly. Glad I talked Dh out of getting a new one. It’s quite ironical because I’m the one doing all his laundry.

Jackie, I am extremely disappointed with how the vaccine is being distributed in our area. I have friends who haven’t been able to book appointments for their 85 Plus year old parents (ones living independently, not nursing homes). And there was a computer glitch where you couldn’t book for over two weeks. Things were working seamlessly with our local health unit booking, then the provincial government forced you to book through them. There’s still some hospital staff still waiting for their first shot! It’s absolutely ridiculous! It seems we’re a forgotten part of the province and Doug Ford refuses to recognize us as zone where more funding needs to be provided. Schools are still strictly remote and my pick up dates with Walmart are now about 11 days apart as all the slots are booked. Now as soon as I pick up my order, I guess the items needed and book another time. I think I will be lucky to get my first shot by July and Dh by sometime in May (70-75 years). But still grateful we can drive anywhere (even though gas is $1.40/litre), and that we have so many parks and green space you can safely explore. And the many different grocery stores we have keeps the prices down too.

Have a great afternoon and evening everyone!
Creative
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Creative, you have my sympathies on Doug Ford. He's considered kind of out there even by American standards.

That's great that you saved your dryer for just a little expenditure. I get very exasperated with our old washer and dryer, which have been repaired a number of times, but they keep running, even though they're small and cantankerous. That they're not taking up space in the landfill is a major plus, on top of not spending money for new ones of rather uncertain quality.
Mackie
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi toute le monde!

Clem,

I am sorry to hear about your cousin. I hope his previous strong health sustains him and allows him to weather out COVID at home. I am glad he has so many people to support him. A hot meal every day is a very lovely thing to receive when one is sick.

My cousin is still in the hospital in ICU with his COVID. I haven't heard if any of the 5 family members at home have had to go to the local hospital for treatment. I am hoping no news is good news. In COVID? It's really hard to determine.
_______

After I replied to Florida last night about adventures in poverty, I was going to bed when my mother's turkey neck soup came to mind! LOL I was in 12th grade and working in the Deli department of one of our town's grocery stores. It also happened to sell turkey necks, which at that time went for the high price of 10 cent/pound. Mom would make turkey neck soup (turkey neck meat, potatoes, some onions and egg noodles) every weekend and put it in the fridge in an ice cream pail. I got lunch for free at school but when Dad was home, this was to be his lunch. I'd run home the 5 blocks from the high school and help Dad get lunch and sometimes have lunch with him. After awhile? Turkey neck soup held absolutely no allure a being edible. :shock: UGH! Since I worked at a grocery store and in the deli where we made fried chicken, I would run the 3 blocks to the store and get Dad a two piece chicken dinner which came with a bun and two side dishes for $2.99. On other days he'd request a can of Chef BoyArdee ravioli. It was so bad that we couldn't even get the DOG to eat that soup. We did have to try though. LOL I DO NOT pick meat of chicken necks or turkey necks. I just throw them into the broth pot.

Today, I got up early because someone called here at 7:05 am. I was terrified, nothing good ever has come from early morning or late night phone calls and with Robbie in the Duluth ICU with COVID, my mind went everywhere. Before I got out of my room into the living room where the phone is, it had gone to the answering machine and whoever it was hung up. It couldn't have been that important. It did get me up with anxiety though.

I did a load of laundry and have some in the dryer and some laid over the couch to dry. I put all the ingredients into the bread machine and am expecting fresh bread for my supper tonight. I think I may have a cheese slice or two to go with it.

The car mechanic called to let me know that it is a hose to the steering column needs to be replaced. He initially quoted $250 but when I called back to see if I could have the friends I share the car with pick it up tomorrow, he said that it actually came out to $204. Whew! That's a relief. I had kind of figured it would be around the $200 range. They will pick-up the car tomorrow. It will be all ready to go and the mechanic said he would top up the coolant no cost. That felt good otherwise I'd need to buy a jug of prepared Prestone to put in there. This is a great service station and that's why I use them.

Jackie and Creative,

I have to agree, the vaccine roll-out is being done differently by each province and none of them seem to be working efficiency or with equity. I can't believe they moved your spot!! And as for Doug Ford? AUGH! I heard on CBC news today that the virus variants are out of control in Ontario. I hope that only applies to the southern part of the province and not in your neck of the woods. I do not expect to get my vaccine until closer to the end of summer or sometime in the fall. It's a very woeful state of affairs. I'm good at being safe as I am able to stay home and not go anywhere to expose myself except for groceries or to the drug store.

I had the last of my coffee cake for breakfast. I am determining if I will make it again tonight or wait a few days. It has a filling which is just margarine, cinnamon and some flour. I think I could easily leave that out and save some calories. I guess that will play out over how "baking-like" I feel.

That's the skinny from here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:
I was able to get some stuff done today but I just do not have the energy I should have. I seem to go thru this every year..wish I didn't. :?

My cassoulet turned out really good, it's a crapshoot every time I make something like this because I have a bad habit of not using a recipe. I use the pinch and substitution method. :roll: Today I used the skin and chicken juices from the rotisserie chicken from the other day, all very highly seasoned from the dry rub I used. I will probably never be able to replicate the cassoulet again but it is really good. Too bad you can't buy duck confit around here. That's what I had In France and it is wonderful. Oh well, the chicken worked.

The temps are falling fast and for the next 2 days supposed to be cold....

2nd stimulus payment is "pending" in my account, 3rd still says status unavailable.

News is saying we are going into a 4th wave of Covid, our Governor still insists the mask rule will be lifted and they will only be suggested.

JCKitty