Daily Check in April 30, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in April 30, 2021

Post by clemencia2us »

jckitty wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:56 pm Clem,
does your sister have anyone who could go to her doc appointments and have another set of ears to hear her instructions and diet? Would she even allow someone to hear and help? Could it be done by zoom?
Sounds a lot like my mom...

I installed the brass kick plates on the door! they look good, I have to do a retouch of paint cause I put a nick in it :( and I clipped a finger with my drill.... peroxide and a band aid and I am fine...it ticks me off more than hurts LOL

Beef stew is started and smells good! Next up is running the floor cleaner...sun is shining and it seems to be warming up a bit...getting some wind though. Was going to paint a couple of yard rockers but the wind...so on to "plan B" might nap later...cause I can...

JCKitty
JCKitty

I just had another interaction with that family. Honestly it really made me mad

They are just so estranged from general family activities or other general social events. They don't want to socialize with anyone. I think my sibling is autistic or high functioning in some way. Her son certainly is. He was very smart and very athletic He had offers from Top Ten schools for athletic scholarships. From California to Harvard and Yale. I thought it was weird that they never looked into any of that. His wife is very off beat. Not sure how else I can describe it. She expedited her graduation so she could graduate with him and they got married right away. But now I think they are holding their kids back also.

It is just so strange, but I guess I will just have to give up on them.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:12 pm Ellen Marie, your son is going to be a millionaire soon. He obviously inherited your money smarts!

Yay, Creative, for getting your shot!

Just now I beefed up the homemade seat cushion in my office desk chair with some leftover spun poly air conditioner filters that have been in the storage closet for nearly a year. I think they are some that were not the right size (they look too short for the units in the rooms). They're made of out what feels like loosely woven pads of scratchy quilt batting. I folded four in half and stuck them in the cushion cover I made. The chair now sits a lot more comfortably.

As you guess, any organization that won't even buy office supplies is not about to buy me a new chair. This one is pretty good except that the seat is hard.

During lunch I made an order at a web restaurant store for some bulk spices, a huge box of hot cocoa mix (DS drinks a big mug of it for breakfast every morning), and a #10 can of ketchup. Ketchup is ridiculously cheap at that size and can be frozen, so I'm going to decant it into a spare bottle in the fridge and freeze the rest in containers to thaw as needed. We go through a lot of ketchup -- DS eats it on almost everything -- so there will be some savings for my efforts and a stop to so many plastic bottles going into the trash.
Lol-well thank you, but Idk about that since I am not a multi-millionaire or anything-even one million would be nice-lol! He was just telling me about a "creepy" house in the neighborhood and I was asking which house does he think is creepy. Well, it was one where an elderly lady and her disabled son lives. Her dh just died two years ago and the weeds are overgrown, house needs painting and fixing up,etc. I told him that it is not her fault bc when her dh died half her income or maybe most of her income went away too. So she cannot afford to fix up the house or anything.

I told him like if dad died, our income would be gone like that ( that was a big fear when he had his heart attack!). He is on social security and pension right now-I get nothing on my end. So all I have would be insurance and I am t oo young probably to get my dh's benefits for social security and on my own social security. I do get a part of his pension though we pay extra right now that I could have a small pension if he should go. Medical is a 1000.00 a month though! So I understand completely. This poor neighbor (we tend to watch over our elderly neighbors bc many have no one that really visits). One day I was driving by and then I saw the woman in between her garbage cans and I was perplexed like did she fall, what is she doing on the ground between her garbage cans?! So I backed up and my son and I helped her up on her feet and walked her back. She was grateful and she said she fell but couldn't get back up! Things you don't really think about until you get old!

So my son then hugged me during this conversation about the neighbor and he said, " Don't worry mom, that is what I am here for-to take care of you!" Awwww and he gave me a kiss. I said, "I hope so!"
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:55 pm FrugalMom, There was a recent story that prices are increasing and they mentioned three specific things - diapers, cereal and toilet paper. That is probably why the Costco shopper was stocking up.

Creative, congrats on your vaccine. Finally!

MJ, that is so great that you will have a furry friend! You will be a wonderful pet mama. You speak so lovingly about the pups you care for from time to time. I hate driving with the trunk tied down. Hope the bike rack works out.

Kitty, I, too, would love to see the door. You did a great job on it.

I’m waiting to watch a presentation on Amtrak’s 50th Anniversary. “Amtrak Joe” is supposed to speak.

I have not done much of anything since Pippi and I got home. It was so hot waiting in the car at the vet. At moms house I put Pippi inside because I didn’t want to leave her in the hot car while I did a few things. I had an unopened can of cat food there from the other day. Pippi is always hungry after her vet visits.

OK, Joe is on so I’ll leave it there.
Maybe!? Today they were saying on MSM that there is a chicken shortage now too. I was thinking wings were getting expensive! Well, I am out of the diaper stage for babies right now, although it may come at the other end of the spectrum as we get older though! But I think I am good for awhile there-I hope! Yes, I was hearing somewhere it is due to a shortage of wood pulp. Like they make tp overseas-like don;t they make any here!? Same with MEDS-I was thinking it is a good idea to bring meds back here and manufacture this in the US. Can you imagine since much of our drugs are made in China and India, like China had put I think it was melamine (?) into their own baby milk for their own citizens, can you imagine meds to the US? Recently there was rocket fuel found in metformin like what is that doing in there!? So like you can kill off a population slowly without us even knowing! Sheesh-I am an advocate bringing med production back into the US! Toilet paper I don't care but meds I do!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

jckitty wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 pm Okay, I looked it over and found markings on it that say PETE in the recycle triangle and according to Mr Google I should be able to reuse it for food storage.

I can't say how big it is because i ripped the paper label off and threw it away :roll: but it looks to be more than a quart.
I want to use it for dried seasoned bread crumbs and keep it in the freezer. or broth.

Found a big morel mushroom..right beside my front sidewalk!!!
JCKitty
Whew! I use those bottles all the time for spices like cinnamon sticks-glad you found out! We used to use big glass jars and peanut butter jars for like tupperware for lunch to bring to work when we were younger. My mom would pack it-hmmm,maybe they did not have tupperware stuff at the time? Or maybe my mom was just being frugal?
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:12 pm Ellen Marie, your son is going to be a millionaire soon. He obviously inherited your money smarts!

Yay, Creative, for getting your shot!

Just now I beefed up the homemade seat cushion in my office desk chair with some leftover spun poly air conditioner filters that have been in the storage closet for nearly a year. I think they are some that were not the right size (they look too short for the units in the rooms). They're made of out what feels like loosely woven pads of scratchy quilt batting. I folded four in half and stuck them in the cushion cover I made. The chair now sits a lot more comfortably.

As you guess, any organization that won't even buy office supplies is not about to buy me a new chair. This one is pretty good except that the seat is hard.

During lunch I made an order at a web restaurant store for some bulk spices, a huge box of hot cocoa mix (DS drinks a big mug of it for breakfast every morning), and a #10 can of ketchup. Ketchup is ridiculously cheap at that size and can be frozen, so I'm going to decant it into a spare bottle in the fridge and freeze the rest in containers to thaw as needed. We go through a lot of ketchup -- DS eats it on almost everything -- so there will be some savings for my efforts and a stop to so many plastic bottles going into the trash.
My son likes this mixed drink that I make for him in the morning. My dd has k-pods (I think that is what you call them) of coffee. So I make a cup of coffee(mini coffee maker so one at a time) for him and then I put in like 3 spoons of sea salted caramel hot cocoa(Good brand I think it is called from Target I think-like a orangish box. The hot cocoa is too sweet by itself for us so it cuts a bit of the sweetness. So for me I add half and half or milk and for him I add a sweet caramel creamer (sugar free-only bc it was mine and he tried it and liked it) and you can sprinkle cinnamon if you want over the whip cream. He loves this and asks for it in the morning.

I am trying to figure out drinks that the youngest two would like. My college dd likes her coffee and likes Starbucks and Dutch Bros (too sweet for me! I like my own coffee bc you can cut the sweetness and make it the way you like it). I told her it is too much these days I heard someone said 9.00 (my dd says 6.00)-I hope it did not go up that much-maybe that is with sweets or something to eat Idk but when I heard that I told her I hope you are not spending that much on those coffee drinks! So she tries to make hers at home and have it as an an occasional treat.

Oh I am usually a tea drinker. There is one tea called Moringa tea I buy from Amazon which is passionfruit moringa tea. I like this one (taste is good but not great) only bc it gives me a bit of energy to propel me through the day! I like my morning English tea with cream and I just add moringa tea for that zip into the same cup or boil it all together(sometimes I add a pinch of cardamon and/or cinnamon too). My coffee I like black usually and treats are the above I make for my son.

Then I also sometimes when it is really hot-I got this from Prepper Princess YT channel-get DaVita ,Mocha latte mix. Get it from Costco it is around 10-11.00 there, On Amazon I remember it was a rip-off I don't remember but like 40.00 I think-way more than I wanted to pay I remember. And I use less spoonfuls than they ask for ,use a lot of crushed ice and I use water instead of milk and it is not as sweet. I blend it in a blender and it is so good-like hits the spot on a hot day. I have never tried it hot,but iced with ice crystals like a frappucino,maybe your son would like that(for my son I use milk instead of water-he is too skinny so I try to give him the calories!)! To make it more decadent for your kid, I would add vanilla ice cream or frozen whip cream (with extra creamy whip cream on top)-drizzle caramel or chocolate over it. There is an Italian drink (forgot what it is called but it is like a dessert-we first tried it at a local food truck!) with espresso or I use coffee and put ice cream in it and drizzle caramel or chocolate if you want or whip cream. Think it is called Affogato. YUM! Let me know if you try it and he likes any of my homemade concoctions!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

frugalmom wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:06 pm Whew! I use those bottles all the time for spices like cinnamon sticks-glad you found out! We used to use big glass jars and peanut butter jars for like tupperware for lunch to bring to work when we were younger. My mom would pack it-hmmm,maybe they did not have tupperware stuff at the time? Or maybe my mom was just being frugal?
Your Mom was being frugal. I am older than you by quite a bit and can remember my Mom having lots of Tupperware parties..
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/