Eyeglass cleaner

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
Prairiegale

Eyeglass cleaner

Post by Prairiegale »

Kind of funny, but did a temp job over the winter and worked with a number of women who wore glasses. Not one of them kept their glasses clean and how they could see out of them was a mystery to me. I was in 5th grade when I started wearing glasses and now at nearly 70 yo I have to have clean lenses.
I have 3 pairs because as time has gone by I have different needs. Eyes change over time and I was always nearsighted and now I really can get by without them, but just feel uncomfortable, actually naked without glasses. Then I have reading glasses which really magnify that small print! The pair I wear the most is for the computer. If you did not know, you can get glasses that work wonderfully if you are are using a monitor and have about 24"-30" away. I think there are still trifocals, but for me, they would not work. I am on the computer hours a day!
I have no coating on my lenses, so this is what I use.
In a small spray bottle mix half vinegar and half rubbing alcohol. That is it! I use an old cotton dishtowel, you know like the old feedsack ones to dry the lenses. No lint. Just rub the lenses and dry, you do not have to rinse under water.
ownedbydogs

Re: Eyeglass cleaner

Post by ownedbydogs »

I use alcohol, water and a tiny drop of dawn.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I have worn glasses since I was 9 and have always been careful with them. (You do that when you can't see squat without them!)

I use the sample eyeglass cleaner that comes with new glasses until it runs out, and then refill the bottle with plain old Windex. It works fine and doesn't harm my glasses. Every now and then I wash the frames too and clean out any nooks and crannies with a toothpick.
Mackie
pinchofsalt

Post by pinchofsalt »

I only use a drop of dishwashing soap and add water in a regular water bottle.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Here's something I read somewhere:

For those of you who have plastic lenses, do not use Windex (or other similar stuff) that has ammonia in it. Ammonia will cloud them.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

I use hand soap and water although most of the internet articles I scanned suggested the dish soap.
Here is something I probably read:
https://www.wikihow.life/Clean-Eyeglasses

Prairiegale wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 pm Kind of funny, but did a temp job over the winter and worked with a number of women who wore glasses. Not one of them kept their glasses clean and how they could see out of them was a mystery to me. I was in 5th grade when I started wearing glasses and now at nearly 70 yo I have to have clean lenses.
I have 3 pairs because as time has gone by I have different needs. Eyes change over time and I was always nearsighted and now I really can get by without them, but just feel uncomfortable, actually naked without glasses. Then I have reading glasses which really magnify that small print! The pair I wear the most is for the computer. If you did not know, you can get glasses that work wonderfully if you are are using a monitor and have about 24"-30" away. I think there are still trifocals, but for me, they would not work. I am on the computer hours a day!
I have no coating on my lenses, so this is what I use.
In a small spray bottle mix half vinegar and half rubbing alcohol. That is it! I use an old cotton dishtowel, you know like the old feedsack ones to dry the lenses. No lint. Just rub the lenses and dry, you do not have to rinse under water.