My tips.. What are yours?

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
peaches

Re: My tips.. What are yours?

Post by peaches »

Jackielou wrote:It has taken me many years not too cook as if I am feeding an army of male teenagers so I understand completely where you are coming from.

Another tip I have is to check with neighbours to see if you can borrow a tool or such before running out to buy said item.
Good Morning Jackie. I know what you mean.. I had 2 sons at home to cook for.... Years ago I used to borrow (egg or sugar) from my one neighbor but they have since then died. Have lived here over 30yrs... since the 08 "recession" There are ALOT of empty homes. I really haven't got to know the newer people that live a lil further away. Thank goodness DH is frugal too. He can recycle things.. like a pair of my pruners.. into 'something' to work on his truck. I sometimes wish I had his imagination.. Well, I better get busy.. Have a GREAT day! :D

Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Stock up on items when they are on sale, especially non perishable goods, things that can be frozen or canned items. It's Rib Fest weekend in my city but with pork back ribs on sale for $2.97/lb. we can have our own rib fest at home! I haven't seen this price for years, so needless to say stocked up on the maximum allowed to store away in the freezer.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Mrscreative wrote:Stock up on items when they are on sale, especially non perishable goods, things that can be frozen or canned items. It's Rib Fest weekend in my city but with pork back ribs on sale for $2.97/lb. we can have our own rib fest at home! I haven't seen this price for years, so needless to say stocked up on the maximum allowed to store away in the freezer.
Wow, that is a great price. I would stock up as well.

BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Most work places have some type of employee/staff lounge which can be a great free-cycle type of place. I have gotten free produce this way, great snacks and reading material. I also leave items such as books and magazines for others to enjoy.
Bev

blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

My tip is to always balance my check book to avoid overdrafts. I really, really hate overdrafts! but don't we all. I do much of the same as peaches and everyone. my biggest problem is retail therapy! I do have to stay out of the stores. cj

Crimestopper

Post by Crimestopper »

One of the things I am still working on is to keep track of what's in the freezer and do not buy more meat, fish, frozen veggies until stock is being depleted. Also, I save all the bones from whole roasted chickens and turkeys for delicious stock and then put the stock in smaller containers in the freezer.

My goal is to have a month of spending less than $100 on fresh grocery items like produce and dairy by using what's in the freezers and pantry, and then another challenge to go down to $75, and still another challenge to go to less than $50. This will require making my own gluten free bread because the cost of a loaf of Udi's GF bread is astronomical, even getting the large loaves at Costco.

My pepper plants on the deck, 15 of them, different kinds, have been producing abundantly so I've been blanching and putting in the freezer in small packs. The jalapenos, after blanching, I toss into a big jar of pickle juice in the fridge. I'm going to try dehydrating some chopped peppers as well to add to soups, stew, chili etc.

Does anyone else save the liquid from boiling potatoes and use it for soup? My Mom called it pot liquor. It adds nice body to a broth based soup and is excellent for creamy soups. Soup season will be upon us soon!

Finally, I don't buy any beef or pork except at 50% off at Randall's grocery (part of Safeway chain). Then I repackage it using the Seal and Press wrap to get the air out, and put all the pieces in a large marked freezer bag.