Make things go further, last longer tip

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
littlemiss63

Re: Make things go further, last longer tip

Post by littlemiss63 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:24 am Libby when my mustard is still clinging to the bottle and will not come down anymore I make potato salad. I pour leftover pickle juice or vinegar in to the bottle and shake it really well and that helps to get that last little bit out of the bottle.
What was I thinking? I always have the free packets of mustards from when I get a burger at a fast food place and they are just the right amount for my dressing in the potato salad that I make. I guess I was just use to using those and didn't think about pouring the vinegar or pickle juice into the bottle. Great tip.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 am What was I thinking? I always have the free packets of mustards from when I get a burger at a fast food place and they are just the right amount for my dressing in the potato salad that I make. I guess I was just use to using those and didn't think about pouring the vinegar or pickle juice into the bottle. Great tip.
I do the same thing with Mayo or Miracle Whip when it is clinging to the jars. Of course cannot do it the same time you do the mustard you would have too much vinegar but it all works out eventually.
Janet Alliesmama
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:09 am I do the same thing with Mayo or Miracle Whip when it is clinging to the jars. Of course cannot do it the same time you do the mustard you would have too much vinegar but it all works out eventually.
I don't care for Miracle Whip, but love Kraft Mayo. I do that all the time, just never thought about using the mustard in the jar to flavor the potato salad. I always order extra mustard when I get my burger and they will throw a handful of mustard in there, so I never run out. One packet is perfect with a cup of mayo when I make potato salad. I actually save my pickle juice to flavor my salad too. I like the sweeter taste and don't put anything but sweet pickle relish instead of cutting up pickles to add. Of course, it's got to have a little celery seed, diced onions and boiled eggs. Sprinkle a little paprika over the eggs on top and yum yum. You stay warm.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:00 pm I don't care for Miracle Whip, but love Kraft Mayo. I do that all the time, just never thought about using the mustard in the jar to flavor the potato salad. I always order extra mustard when I get my burger and they will throw a handful of mustard in there, so I never run out. One packet is perfect with a cup of mayo when I make potato salad. I actually save my pickle juice to flavor my salad too. I like the sweeter taste and don't put anything but sweet pickle relish instead of cutting up pickles to add. Of course, it's got to have a little celery seed, diced onions and boiled eggs. Sprinkle a little paprika over the eggs on top and yum yum. You stay warm.

Sounds like we basically make our potato salad the same way except I prefer dill pickle juice. Also do not add pickles or relish but you gotta have celery seed. I grew up with Miracle Whip but now watching my carbs so switched to mayo.It took me a while to get use to it. I like the mayo from Dollar Tree. It is called Calder's Gourmet mayonnaise I actually like the Mayo from Dollar Tree better than Kraft mayo. I like the taste and since it comes in a small bottle the size is perfect for me since I do not use that much that often.

I am staying warm. They just sent out a notice that the storm is over. Still cold and ice on the ground but the accumulation has stopped. I am going to make some muffins later on and I think I will put a Duraflame log in the fireplace. It will help take some of the chill out of the evening when it gets dark and make things more cheerful.
Janet Alliesmama