Make things go further, last longer tip

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
chella52

Make things go further, last longer tip

Post by chella52 »

Hi All,
Im a senior lady, live alone and on fixed income. Have a home and 3 dogs to take care of and it is a challenge.
Its hard to try to eat healthy on a budget and just one person so avoiding ready made cheap tv dinners is a big hurdle.
I actually have a canner and a seal a mealer machine. So when I can I can buy n bulk and store it in reasonable portions.
One thing I love is Juice! and I usually buy lite juice but I noticed the made from concentrate ones and the main differences was the water added.

So I tried buying full Juice and diluting it half with water, makes 2 out of 1...I keep it refrigerated and I have a large glass every evening before bed when I take my medications. It keeps fine, taste like the light versions and I save.
Just to add, I have double filtered water ...water filter on my home and then one on the faucet too so the water I use is very filtered. I have been doing this for 3 years now and it works out very well for me.
dlrcpa

Re: Make things go further, last longer tip

Post by dlrcpa »

I don't like juice because of the sugar content. You might like to try making some herbal teas such as peppermint or the fruit flavored ones and chill them, then drink some tea (or mix juice and tea) instead of the juice. I think tea has some additional vitamins depending on the type.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Hi, Chella!

When we do have juice, I've always put an extra can of water in it to stretch it and cut the sugar content. Have never tried cutting it in half ...
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

chella52 wrote:Hi All,
Im a senior lady, live alone and on fixed income. Have a home and 3 dogs to take care of and it is a challenge.
Its hard to try to eat healthy on a budget and just one person so avoiding ready made cheap tv dinners is a big hurdle.
I actually have a canner and a seal a mealer machine. So when I can I can buy n bulk and store it in reasonable portions.
One thing I love is Juice! and I usually buy lite juice but I noticed the made from concentrate ones and the main differences was the water added.

So I tried buying full Juice and diluting it half with water, makes 2 out of 1...I keep it refrigerated and I have a large glass every evening before bed when I take my medications. It keeps fine, taste like the light versions and I save.
Just to add, I have double filtered water ...water filter on my home and then one on the faucet too so the water I use is very filtered. I have been doing this for 3 years now and it works out very well for me.
Chella, I do this too with apple juice and prune juice.

Also I wanted to say "Welcome to the Forum!"
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

I add extra water as well. I also pour any syrup or juice from canned or thawed frozen fruit in the jug and add water to taste. Waste not want not. Mil kids call it kamikazi juice. Lol
rinty

Post by rinty »

chella52 wrote:Hi All,

All good tips, thanks and like Shelsmiles says, welcome !