Using "Throw- Aways"

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
HappyDaze

Using "Throw- Aways"

Post by HappyDaze »

Do you ever use things that would ordinarily be thrown away or recycled for another purpose? I'm trying to do more of this by giving a second use or second life to some things.

I don't save every one of these because I can't stand clutter but I have a couple big drawers and cupboards in my kitchen that I keep a stash of things in.

* Glass jars that food come in are great "freezer containers" for just about anything. Just leave some space at the top so they don't burst. Easy to wash and reuse.

* Cereal box liners are great for storing baked goods, wrapping a sandwich to take to work, covering a bowl of leftovers in the frige, wrapping up something for the freezer, etc.

* Bread bags (just shake out the crumbs) are good to put a loaf of homemade bread in - or a sandwich for work. Don't turn them inside out to store food - we don't know what is in that ink on the bags.

* Big pet food bags make good garbage bags. We just staple them closed at the top.

* Plastic coffee cans with lids get used to store powdered laundry soap. I keep a tablespoon right in the can for measuring). We also use them to mix up our "cat food recipe" for the outdoor cats. If there is food left, the lid can be put on and it doesn't stink up the frige.

* Dregs of candles are stored in a bag in the freezer. When I get enough I melt it down and make a new candle (in a saved and cleaned out candle jar).

* I keep a couple big plastic bottles from back when I used liquid detergent. These make good "warmers" when filled with hot water and wrapped in a towel.

* Plastic margarine, sour cream, etc. containers are my "tupperware". I even take leftovers to work in them. Some of the lids are used for cat serving dishes.

* The dog put holes in a couple of my sheets. When they were "beyond mending" I cut them up and they are in the "rag drawer" (instead of paper towels). Same goes for old towels, etc.

* I keep washed out soup cans in the pet food bins for measuring.

* Some glass jars and bottles (not many but some) are actually really pretty and make good containers for flowers or votive candles.

* Any found soda or beer can/bottle = 5 cents.

* We don't have plastic grocery bags here anymore - but when we did, I used them to stuff my homemade draft stoppers.

* Brown paper bags can be used to wrap a gift. If there is writing on them, just have the inside be the outside.

* My socks are organized in two shoe boxes on the top shelf of my closet.

* I keep a stash of quarters, dimes, nickels in a used prescription bottle in my car.

* An old broom that no longer did the job on the floors now sweeps the snow off my car.

* Net fruit bags make good pan scrubbers. Several can be banded together with a rubber band or twist tie to make quite a large one.

That is all I can think of for now. I can maybe find a couple more things if I look around.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Re: Using "Throw- Aways"

Post by Jackielou »

I do most of those, except for glass jars. I have so many canning jars that I use those for storage or freezing.

We still have plastic bags here (you have to pay for them of course) but they will be gone by June I think. I have been saving all bag type things for when our Grandcat comes to visit as I use them when cleaning out the litter box.

I recycle old clothing, sheet and towels. Some is made into fabric for quilts and small projects, others are made into rags.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I do many of the things you’ve listed - cereal box liners; quarters in Rx bottles in my car; butter, Cool Whip and yogurt cups (saved from when they had plastic rather than foil lids) for storage. I used to use bread bags to scoop litter. We still get plastic bags and I use them to discard large items like juice bottles or messy trash so my “good” trash can bags don’t fill up as fast.

Here’s another one from my mom. Pringles cans (covered with contact paper to make them “pretty”) and used to store open strips of saltine crackers. I have the two that mom made and use them myself and treasure them.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:51 pm I do many of the things you’ve listed - cereal box liners; quarters in Rx bottles in my car; butter, Cool Whip and yogurt cups (saved from when they had plastic rather than foil lids) for storage. I used to use bread bags to scoop litter. We still get plastic bags and I use them to discard large items like juice bottles or messy trash so my “good” trash can bags don’t fill up as fast.

Here’s another one from my mom. Pringles cans (covered with contact paper to make them “pretty”) and used to store open strips of saltine crackers. I have the two that mom made and use them myself and treasure them.
FLC, I love your mom's tip, thank you for sharing it with us!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

I tend to hit the bakery markdowns at the store ... the containers for pies and cinnamon rolls make good plant-pot saucers, especially for large pots. And if they get too dirty and worn, they can be recycled.

Big bags from cat litter line the trash can in the garage, or are used to bag up yard waste.

Bread bags — Use these to line the container next to the sink that we use for bits of trash, etc. Sometimes they're impromptu bags for cleaning the litter box. I use the larger ones to "double-bag" meats for the freezer.

Many of our worn clothes end up in the rag bin, too. In fact, I just cut up an old t-shirt last night.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

LWolfT wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:24 am I tend to hit the bakery markdowns at the store ... the containers for pies and cinnamon rolls make good plant-pot saucers, especially for large pots. And if they get too dirty and worn, they can be recycled.

Big bags from cat litter line the trash can in the garage, or are used to bag up yard waste.

Bread bags — Use these to line the container next to the sink that we use for bits of trash, etc. Sometimes they're impromptu bags for cleaning the litter box. I use the larger ones to "double-bag" meats for the freezer.

Many of our worn clothes end up in the rag bin, too. In fact, I just cut up an old t-shirt last night.
I have to say thank you for the frugal inspiration! I've been looking for something FREE to start my "grocery store produce seeds" in. You helped me remember that when I was rescuing the refundable bottles and cans from DD's trash that I saw a couple of clam shell plastic containers in the bag. I have rescued them from the garage and washed them and they will be my seed starter containers.

Charles M. Schultz