Frugal tasks when time is not an issue

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
colonialgirl

Re: Frugal tasks when time is not an issue

Post by colonialgirl » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Jenny - you have gotten great responses. The only thing I could think of to add is take this time to really crawl all over the sales loss leaders and use a percentage of the grocery money to stock up on them. Set up an alternate pantry (in the basement, under the bed, wherever) to hold the excess.

I am really trying to get some freezer meals made ahead to cope with my eternal laziness and the resulting eating out. If it is easy - I will just stay at home.

suzin.e.h

Post by suzin.e.h » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:03 pm

This is the time of year I start to sort out everything and downsize our stuff that is not used anymore...then clean it up and tag it for a garage sale next spring....we are elderly and need to continue to downsize..the money would be great to use to stock our pantry with the loss leaders we use....

RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:34 pm

I agree with everything everyone has said so far, especially about dehydrating. It's a super frugal preservation method and as certain items are cheap, you can put them up for later. For example, pumpkins/winter squash now, cranberries after the holidays (I sometimes find them for $.25/lb and buy 10 pounds!), pineapple or bananas when on sale.

Go through clutter to find things to sell on ebay, etsy, amazon, or at the consignment shop.

Take surveys or use swagbucks to make a little extra. Sign up for free samples (the coupons that come with them are usually really good and have a long expiration date so you can save them til you find a fantastic sale).

Make gifts for birthdays/Christmas.

Compile a list of fun things to do for free or nearly free. When DH and I have lots of time, but little money, we get burned out if we sit at home all the time. I try to have us go out MORE, just to free events. For example, when DH lost his job, I took him to the art museum's grand reopening party, a free classical concert at a posh theatre, another free concert at a smaller theatre, we won free tickets for a movie screening, and tomorrow, we are going to the zoo for free just by donating food to the food bank (the cost of the food, purchased frugally, was 1/6 the regular price.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com

blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:44 am

RD, I lost your link to your blog. can you give that to us again? I really enjoy reading all you and you dh do to be frugal and still have fun! cj

RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:46 am

blondeinbuffalo wrote:RD, I lost your link to your blog. can you give that to us again? I really enjoy reading all you and you dh do to be frugal and still have fun! cj
Yep. Definitely

A Life Beyond Money www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com

I just noticed that my signature disappeared (or maybe I never set it when we moved over), so I updated that.

And thank you! We have a lot of fun together. I so lucked out to find a good person whose goals and pleasures in life match up fairly well with mine. I couldn't have as good a life without him.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com

blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:00 am

Thank you! Happy Holidays! cj