Fabric Softener $olution!!

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
colonialgirl

Re: Fabric Softener $olution!!

Post by colonialgirl »

Jodi - sometimes if I spill a little softner on clothes when I am loading the dispenser, it will leave spots on my clothes. I assume you haven't had any of that since you would not have recommended it and it must be because it is so diluted. What is the ratio of water to softener?
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I did think of that before trying this and there has not been a single spot.....the first time I did this I only sprayed an old t-shirt directly, about ten sprays, and it was fine as well as the rest of the load.

The ratio I used was one cap to about 3.5 cups of water....just short of filling my spray bottle. I also figured that when adding softener directly to the rinse water often there's only an inch or so of water in the bottom of the tub.....so the clothes sitting in the bottom, as the water fills in, are getting MUCH less dilution than the entire load is when the water is full. I've never known that to cause those greasy spots like you get when softener is straight on the clothes, like you mention. So I felt optimistic that there shouldn't be a spotting problem.

Then I did about ten loads of laundry over a few weeks with my softener-spray, and I have not seen any spots. So then I figured I had done enough experimenting and could tell you guys all about it :D

Also, I used Downy........I really prefer "natural' products like Ecover or 7th Generation, but I was in a pinch for cash and bought $1 Downy at dollar tree.....it is the concentrated kind. TINY bottle which is what started this experiment...I'm pinching the "household needs" budget and didn't want to pay more for Ecover right now. LOL
ohjodi
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Thanks Jodi, I will try and get by. The Dollar store and pick up some more spray bottles today and give it a try. Appreciate the clarification!
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I hope it works well for you, too. and you lose nothing by trying because you can just empty the spray bottle into your next rinse if you decide it's not for you.
ohjodi
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I tried this yesterday on my clothes and it seemed to work well.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

dlrcpa wrote:I tried this yesterday on my clothes and it seemed to work well.
I'm glad it worked for you! We will save a ton of money on fabric softener.
ohjodi