Fabric Softener $olution!!

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
LWolfT

Re: Fabric Softener $olution!!

Post by LWolfT »

I suppose that if you were concerned about spots, you could just spray a washcloth and throw it in the dryer with the clothes ...
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

That's a good idea :-)
ohjodi
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Great tips!

In the past I have used aluminum foil balls if I run out of dryer sheets. it takes out the static. cj
ChopinLover

Post by ChopinLover »

I"v heard of a variation of this before.. spray directly onto a damp washcloth and toss into the dryer.
I'm thinking to try the same approach except using a diluted mix of the scented laundry crystals instead. I tried at first to dilute a small amount in hot water, add to the softener dispenser. It didn't work because it curdled and lumped up in the dispenser. I had to clean it out.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

When I use fabric softener (and I ONLY use it for Dh's dirty work clothes & occasionally for sheets, boys underwear, socks & jeans), I use from a bottle of concentrated Downy, a free gift from a friend. I use a tiny drop, measured using the end of an un-sharpened pencil, and set it in an 8 ounce old yogurt cup filled partway with warm water, then swish the pencil around until the softener is all melted off, then I fill the cup full. For each load, I pour 1/4 c of my mix into a Downy ball, then fill the rest of the way with white vinegar, close & toss ball into washer with clothes.

Hubby gets his scented clothes, I get peace of mind about how much is used, AND I use a damp Norwex dusting mitt to wipe down the washer & dryer interiors before I wash my clothes. I tend to wash boys' clothes, then my girls' clothes, even towels, sheets, and tablecloths before I get to mine, just to skip any hint of extra scent that might have gotten through my cleaning of the machines; because the chemical scents give me hives on my legs, and make me sneeze mightily, then I can't breathe afterward.
kat

Post by kat »

sounds like a fabulous idea!! I DO have a HE washer with a FS spot, but I still get static cling in the dryer WITH fabric sheets or using liquid in the washer. I also heard that the fabric sheets leave a residue in your dry which eats off the finish???? who knows, so I will try this! thanks!