beef fat

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
RecoveringDreamer

Re: beef fat

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

I don't purposely buy beef fat or fatty beef meat, but when I cook beef, I do save the fat. I save all of my fats really. In my frig I have beef, chicken and bacon fats. I love using just a little bit to saute vegetables. I use it mostly when I am making a meat-free meal, perhaps a veggie stir-fry and rice or pasta and veggies. I figure that I can condone the fat if there is no meat, and it saves me a little bit of money.

Whenever I am in a hard financial time (as I am now), I can't throw away anything that I can use, especially if it saves me from having to buy something.

And also, everything tastes better with bacon fat.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree RD, everything tastes better with a fat flavoring. Fats, especially saturated fats are an important part of a healthy diet. I am fortunate to have college training in biology, especially human biological systems(pre-med). Therefore, I am a bit immune to the diet fads du jour. The low fat fad means that trimmed fats can be procured cheaply. I have determined that I don't really have that much extra beef fat. I am almost exclusively cooking with it and it goes quickly. Onions, mushrooms, all vegetables saute better in beef fat. And I save a ton of money by not buying oils. Our health is good under high fat. I also have begun saving the juices off cooked meat. I use those to make small quantities of soups. I find I need to add a bouillon cube to enrich it and then add stuff for a complete meal. As you said, it reduces waste a lot.

I do think there is valid concern in the issue of fried or charcoal cooked, grilled meats. I don't deep fry and I avoid charcoal cooked, grilled meats. I do believe those processes increase carcinogen levels. I also avoid processed meats due to the toxic effects of the preservatives.

I hope your financial time improves RD.
RecoveringDreamer

Me too. It has been a rough month. I didn't get permanent employment at the farm, so now I'm heading to a pt job. My last day with a full time job, DH had a horrible accident. He hit a wall, rolled 3 times and landed upside down. He is ok, concussion and some bad cuts, but no broken bones. It hit us at a really bad time financially, but we are quickly getting back into our recession-era savings strategies, so I feel cautiously secure.

I didn't think of saving meat juices for my soup making. That is a great idea! Especially now that soup season is back!
A Life Beyond Money

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

DG -
I have encountered tallow candles in reenacting. They are awful. They smoke and they stink. Also - they draw mice and bugs if they are stored improperly. This is one frugal strategy I personally would avoid.

Recovering Dreamer - I am so sorry to hear about your hubs accident. Sending up a prayer for a quick recovery.
RecoveringDreamer

colonialgirl wrote: Recovering Dreamer - I am so sorry to hear about your hubs accident. Sending up a prayer for a quick recovery.
Thanks, colonialgirl. He is recovering well. I've been working his job at the warehouse to help his boss/bring in money. Hopefully this week his doctor gives him the ok to drive and work again.
A Life Beyond Money

blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

RD, hope you dh is doing better and is stronger each day since the accident. take care! cj

how are the bunnies doing? I hope you have decided to keep them as pets. fingers crossed.