Frugal Air Freshener

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
countrygal

Re: Frugal Air Freshener

Post by countrygal »

In summer i grow lavender so i have that around the house,winter i do pine,balsam which here in the mountians i have plenty also i use cinnamon on pinecones and set them around.As i have my dogs and i have to be careful what i use,another nice thing is mint leaves,i can't use anything that has to be sprayed so i use what is around me.
Home Is Where Your Heart Is!
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

icfrugal, I think you can buy fabric softener with a scent. It may not be at the dollar stores but if there is such a thing I would check out Walmart.

I recently started a scent pot on my stove, water, orange peels, cinnamon stick and just for fun some cloves too. I have a small home so it scents the downstairs for just pennies. then after a week I will toss it out and start again. cj
blondeinbuffalo

I read this yesterday on one of the blogs. a simple and cheap solution for an airfreshener. I think it was on 100 dollars a month. small mason jar or whatever jar. fill partially with baking soda (half way), add in up to 12 drops of essential oil, your choice. mix and put on a cap that you have poked holes in to let out the scent or cap it with construction paper and poke holes in that and rubber band it to keep the top in place. I have plenty of both so I am going to try this.

my most recent diy was deoderant and I am pleased with the result. just used organic coconut oil and cornstarch. just put a small dab under each arm pit, a very small amount! cj
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I don't use Febreze, or fabric softener as a rule, but just last night ds11 was complaining about his room being smelly (of course it's his brother's fault, ds13 is a bit stinky but no worse than others I think).

I came across a recipe (on onegoodthingbyjillee.com) a while back using hair conditioner to make fabric softener. I might use that recipe plus your above directions to make a Febreze-like spray for him to use. Most chemically-scent products are just too much for my lungs to handle.

Or perhaps I'll have to grow the sweet-smelling herbs this spring/summer to gather and use somehow.
blondeinbuffalo

This weekend I found some small used glass candle holders and filled them half way with baking soda, only 6 drops of essential oil (I used panaway from youngliving) and use this is my bathrooms and now my car. panaway has a spearmint scent but you can use any. I had an essential oil kit and lots of baking soda so this was free to me! cj

when the scent is less apparent you can stir or just add in more drops of oil. really works nice in the car!
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I made a "sachet" for the car about a week ago. Gain "scent booster" pellets (just a few, under 10 of them) sewn in a bit of lace and stashed in the glove box. Very subtle but nice.