When it says "Dry Clean Only" ...

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
delighted99

When it says "Dry Clean Only" ...

Post by delighted99 »

..what is your tendency? Do you actually take it to the dry cleaners? Do you use a dryer product that is designed to dry clean at home? I used a product called Dry Cleaners Secret that did this. I never tried it on a stain though.
tammy65

Re: When it says "Dry Clean Only" ...

Post by tammy65 »

Last week, my Fil and I went shopping for a suit for him at a consignment store and I used a product similar to what you used (can't remember the name of it) to freshen it up with in the dryer. It turned out quite well.
I usually don't buy anything that says "dry clean only" because I'm a wash and wear kind of gal.

Tammy
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I will no longer buy dry cleaned only. I did try to wash a skirt by hand one time with bad results. I dont think I own anything dry clean only anymore. cj
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

It depends on the fabric content and the type of garment. Silk blouses I will hand-wash and iron afterwards, have had fine results with that. Pants or a skirt I might attempt as a cool delicate machine wash and line dry followed by pressing depending on the fabric. Rayon will shrink and is not a good candidate. I would not attempt to machine wash a jacket made in any non-washable fabric. I have machine washed some inexpensive polyester lined jackets that survived. ;)
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

dlrcpa, sounds like you could write a guide on this subject! :) Maybe you could advise me on this knit sweater that is tagged as dry clean only. I'm not sure why that is-- are sweaters typically dry clean only items? It has large buttons if that has anything to do with it. I'm leaning towards getting some dry cleaners secret.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Delighted

What is the fiber content of the sweater? If it is mostly wool you might be able to handwash and block dry (I mean lay it on a towel and let it dry that way, do not hang to dry or throw in the dryer.....don't ask me how I know that).

Other content I am not so sure about. Sweaters are made with rayon fibers now and I for sure would not wash those.

Jackie
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/