Frugal ways to stay warm

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
MackerelCat

Re: Frugal ways to stay warm

Post by MackerelCat »

When DS was an infant, we discovered that the sill of our house needed caulking because there was a terrible draft on the floor in the corners of the nursery. Since it was too cold to do the work right away, I put a couple of old quilts on the floor/up against the baseboards under his crib that made a huge difference in keeping the room warm.
Mackie
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Layers are important. that way you can always adjust your clothing level of warmth throughout the day. some days I am gone from 7am till 7pm and there can be a big range in temperature in all seasons. I would add a good pair of boots made a big difference for me last year. I got a pair of uggs, they are ugly but they are very warm! my feet would be toasty and that made me comfortable all day. I always have a packed bag in my car in the winter months (and late fall too) with extra clothing, socks, underwear, and other pair of boots and some trail mix. I have been stuck in my car overnight so it is nice to have a snack if you get hungry. buffalo winters can be severe so I also have a blanket in my car too. cj
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

Lots of good tips. Here are a few I didn't see...
After baking leave the oven door open to let the heat from the oven into the room rather than letting the oven fan vent it out.

If using a large amount of hot water such as a bath tub or kitchen sink full, leave the water until it is cool and that heat will go into the room instead of down the drain.

Move your body. Exercise raises body temperature.

Use your ceiling fans to blow the hot hair that rises back down again.

Refrain from using vent fans unless necessary as they also send heat outside.
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

I did not know that about the vents! thanks for the tip! cj
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

ohjodi wrote:Us an old fleece blanket as a mattress cover under your fitted sheet.

Two flat sheets and a blanket are warmer than one flat sheet and two blankets.

When in bed, bring the sides of your blanket onto the bed with you. Hanging over the sides lets all kinds of cold in, believe it or not (I learned that on Frugal Living years ago, I think from Clemencia).

Wear a t-shirt under your nightgown.

Cover your head with a hat, scarf, or even lean a pillow against the top of your head.

If you do not have a solid wooden headboard, it will help to use a blanket or cardboard. Drape a blanket over your headboard (even a sheet will help). Or place cardboard along the wall as a "headboard".If your bed is against a wall,also line that wall with cardboard or nail up a blanket. This really works.
GREAT IDEAS! I am going to have to try that and never thought about the headboard idea-the kids do not have headboards! And their room is always so cold for some reason on that side of the house(I just sealed up all the holes my brother made to do computer wires). So hopefully that will help some!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

I bought these smooth long johns(I think that is what they call it-tee shirt and long pants) from Walmart a couple of years ago and it is so soft and comfy and adds a layer-it was cheap). Plus we rarely turn on the heater and always layer. In the winter,(now I am going to sound like a real shlumpadinka here-lol-worse than sweatpants!), I live in my long johns(sometimes due to my hot flashes I don't anymore as much only when freezing),turtleneck,and fleece jacket(remember the ones I bought on sale at Target after clearance for 4.95 for adults and everyone got one for Christmas-yes I have it for that long and love it to keep me warm). I wear fleece(fuzzy ones) pants too(warmer than sweatpants the fuzzy fleece ones)-hey and at home,sometimes I wear my fuzzy pajama pants to keep warm!

Comfort and warmth is my main objective! And although I use the Target jackets which are thinning as the years go by now,I bought Polartec jackets (which is more expensive) but much,much warmer! I don't wear jackets/coats so these Polartec jackets are still warm enough for me to wear outside and i live out of those-I don't like bulky outer jackets.

We also have a few heavy comforters(also microfleece some of them-fuzzy ones are warmer),and I use a flat sheet which I don;t like I use this microfleece plush blanket as the top sheet(I like the warmth and fuzzy softness against my body-warmer this way). I also got from the San Jose Flea Market(they sell lots of new things-actual businesses there) and they get heavy wool type microfleece blankets from China,Korea,Phillipines,India,etc) and they are so much warmer than ones sold here in stores and that is my second layer before the pile of comforters(two or three). I sleep on fleece sheets too and sometimes pillowcases or microfleece pillowcases-when i use my regular cotton ones they get really cold). If super cold I do wear a microfleece beanie on rare occasions(my son wears them at night)-I know I must be a sight-lol-thank goodness,my dh wears his hat and encourages us too-lol-otherwise he may think I am such a sight-not romantic or sexy looking at all-lol! Thank goodness he is practical!

Oh and I wear fuzzy long socks and all the kids do too and have fuzzy slippers(kids like their moccasins)-I am just a big fuzz ball! I get sometimes the kids those slipper socks with treads on them-thicker and warmer. I do wear magic gloves(mittens) with fingers on them(how does the fingerless ones differ-maybe I should cut the fingers?)-great teacher gifts for 1.50 with candy in a little plastic gift bag-helps with yard duty.

And drink warm teas or drinks throughout day and hot toddies when sick.Sometimes during the cold,I drink this Sleepytime tea(Celestial seasonings) which knocks me out sometimes-maybe I am just too tired!