Frugal ways to stay warm

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
ChopinLover

Re: Frugal ways to stay warm

Post by ChopinLover »

Uhhh, yeah, on the peppered tea.. all's well until it makes it's way through your system and literally kicks you in the behind.. Same for the peppered salves.. wait till u forget and stick your finger in your eyeball or nose.. !!!
11cats2beagles

Post by 11cats2beagles »

Well, I'm a convert -- from my anti-electric blanket days to now swearing by them! It all started last fall, right after we moved in here. I got sick as a dog, high fever and chills. Boyfriend hauled out his electric blanket and put it on me and I was a believer!!

Flash forward...we have NO heat in our upstairs. It is literally an add-on (two rooms) with no means of heat at all. The childrens' bedroom is downstairs so they are fine but we are up there in the frozen tundra and the electric blanket makes ALL the difference.

Also socks and slippers worn around the house, warm pajamas, robe, sweatshirts, etc.

We will be doing plastic over windows this year after having had some outlandish bills (all electric home) last winter. Also trying insulated curtains at a couple of windows.

One nice thing is that the house is on the small side...a day of baking/cooking on a winter weekend will warm the whole downstairs up nicely.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

My bedroom when I was growing up had no heat. When the wind blew, the curtains moved, even with the windows shut. It was just not possible to live in that room without an electric blanket.
Mackie
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Us an old fleece blanket as a mattress cover under your fitted sheet.

Two flat sheets and a blanket are warmer than one flat sheet and two blankets.

When in bed, bring the sides of your blanket onto the bed with you. Hanging over the sides lets all kinds of cold in, believe it or not (I learned that on Frugal Living years ago, I think from Clemencia).

Wear a t-shirt under your nightgown.

Cover your head with a hat, scarf, or even lean a pillow against the top of your head.

If you do not have a solid wooden headboard, it will help to use a blanket or cardboard. Drape a blanket over your headboard (even a sheet will help). Or place cardboard along the wall as a "headboard".If your bed is against a wall,also line that wall with cardboard or nail up a blanket. This really works.
ohjodi
suzin.e.h

Post by suzin.e.h »

Ohjodi...I'm going to have to use your idea...my bed is against the outside wall...and in winter the wall is like ice....that idea of adding something to cover the wall will make a world of difference...THANKS...my DH has already mentioned he'd like a hood for his head, (and me too) so I guess I'll have to get out the sewing machine and fabric...I have some bonnet patterns that might work...and I have some crochet winter hood patterns that I could use to make something (I have plenty of yarn)....Also something I did was make some extra window curtains that cover just the glass.. I used tension rods to place them next to the glass in the window behind my regular drapes....
ChopinLover

Post by ChopinLover »

I agree with the blanket on the headboard thing. I'd forgotten about that! I had a wrought iron type and I draped a fluffy fleece blanket over it--really made a difference.