Daily Check-in September 28, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Prairie Waif2

Re: Daily Check-in September 28, 2022

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut mes amis!

I wish I had slept like the dead last night but the Fitbit is telling me it was just a little over 4 hours and I sure can tell! I need my sleep or I am worthless for the day and I'm not being facetious. All my plans for today are put off until tomorrow. The plan was to make more apple butter so I'd have some for Christmas gifts but that will either be started tonight and finished tomorrow or all started tomorrow.

I got busy yesterday and ran a slew of errands. I needed to find more 500 mL canning jars. I went to the two Sobeys in town and they had ZERO. I was starting to panic as all they had were 1 liter jars. I came home, looked up the other grocery stores in town and called Safeway. HALLELUJAH!! They had some! I asked if they would put aside to boxes for me and went down and got them! It blew the budget but it also comes out as a win in December when I have Christmas presents.

I SLAVED cleaning and sterilizing the kitchen for canning yesterday once I got home from running errands. I had all those peppers to "finely dice" and I decided I would just run them through my mini food grinder. I was able to watch it better than my big food processor. I watched so it chopped just fine enough to look finely diced. I hauled out the big canner and even found my jar remover! WOOT!! WOOT!! I had enough pepper jelly to nicely fill 6 500 mL jars. They look so very pretty! PROBLEM!!!! The jelly doesn't appear to have set. UGH. UGH! UGH! I looked it up already on google and it said sometimes pepper jelly requires to set a few days before it completely gels. Gals, if it doesn't set, you're supposed to dump it all and recook it. Do you think it would be worth it? I was planning on giving some away but then? I love it so much that 6 little jars could last me into next summer. Even if I did decide to give some away and it hasn't completely set in a few days, would you recook it? I'm at a loss on this one.Of course, I can just keep it all for myself and it would be a nice sauce on meat and my sammies!

As I was running errands yesterday, I stopped at Pet Lovers' Warehouse and got Opal some food and a big treat log that I put in her cage. While I was at Sobeys, I picked-up a container of her favorite Banana Chips. She really loves those and it makes me happy to see her come out and much on the few I give her.

We had REALLY hot weather yesterday and while canning I did have to run the air conditioner. I had my Bandana over my hair to keep it out of the food, used the food prep gloves Zoe gave me and I didn't feel any repercussions of cutting and cleaning all those Jalapeno Peppers. I need to find out where she got those gloves. They are amazing!

Not much else to report. It's going to be another hot day. I have to go out this afternoon. I am borrowing a roaster from Tannis (Charlee's Mom) so I can do this batch of apple butter in the oven instead of the crockpot. I also will sneak a few good cuddles out of my little Charlee girl!! I'll try to get in a nap and go over there about 2:30 or 3:00 pm.

I am watching the news on the storm. Sarasota, Florida has already pulled all their police officers off the street due to concern for their safety. I sure hope everyone stays safe there! |

Florida, I am so glad you got a hot breakfast and some snacks for later. This is very good!

That's the skinny from here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning

I thought I had posted already.

Slept very comfy last night. The temps were in the 50s and I had the window open. All snuggled under a warm fluffy blanket. Pets snoozed all night.

Didn't want to get out of bed but we had planned our usual Wednesday breakfast. I had a biscuit sandwich. I like to try different things. And i love biscuits.

Now i'm home and thinking what will i do today? Maybe a load of laundry and start sorting clothes again?

Hope all have a great day. Stay safe Florida!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:39 am My college room mate's mother, who is now quite elderly and recovering from an accident, lives on the upper Gulf Coast of Florida and I've been worried about her, but it looks like the actual storm will miss her town.

My day did not get off to the smoothest start. The car gave me a low tire warning so I drove rather slowly to work. The left front tire is low but driveable, so if it's okay when I leave for home, I'll go by the shop that installed them (there's a warranty) and get it looked at.

It's chilly this morning, so I pulled out another cardigan to wear. This one needs a trip to the sewing machine, as the cuffs are floppy and annoying. As I lose more weight through the winter, all my sweaters are going to be too big, so floppy and annoying may be something I just have to live with. :-D

Hope you all have a safe and peaceful day.
oh wow - same thing with my car this morning - low tire warning. The COD had already left. He has a compressor in the garage and will fill it up. I just drove like 5 blocks down the street to the cafe we frequent. Heck - maybe if I wasn't so lazy, I should start walking over there. But then I usually go to the store afterwards. Not today. Came straight home.

I figure the colder weather might have affected it.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:35 am Hello friends.

I had a good sleep. It is raining only lightly here and I haven’t heard any wind. My county has avoided catastrophe once again, I believe, and we will get rain and wind today and overnight but nothing like south of us. Those poor people in the Port Charlotte-Venice-Fort Myers area who are now expecting a category 4 (155 mph) storm to make landfall this afternoon. One of my favorite Florida spots, Sanibel Island, will likely have a storm surge. Very sad.

I had a hot breakfast here at the hotel and took an apple and yogurt for later. Most of the people staying here are my age with a few who are younger.

That’s all for now. You all have a good day. I think that Jackie is getting her new garage today and I’m sure that will be wonderful for winter.
Watching the storm on the weather channel. Looks awful south of you. I have friends that live in Port Charlotte..but they are on a road trip right now. Stay safe.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

clemencia2us wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:06 pm oh wow - same thing with my car this morning - low tire warning. The COD had already left. He has a compressor in the garage and will fill it up. I just drove like 5 blocks down the street to the cafe we frequent. Heck - maybe if I wasn't so lazy, I should start walking over there. But then I usually go to the store afterwards. Not today. Came straight home.

I figure the colder weather might have affected it.
Lol, I had my tire pressure indicator go off a few weeks ago. I drove over for my Dad to help. I think he secretly enjoys it (he worked on his own cars until they started to get computerized) and he likes to be able to help me. I am sooo lucky to still have them around.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Wind and rain have picked up. Lights flickered several times here at the hotel but are OK now.

Dutch friend is hosting some of her son’s work colleagues who evacuated quickly last night from their home on a canal in Cape Coral (near Fort Myers).