Daily Check in Oct 13, 2017

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Oct 13, 2017

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugal friends,

I have logged onto work already as I will head over to the High school at 3. We are traveling for tonight's football game. 90 minutes or so. We are going to make lunch meat sandwiches and parents are supposed to bring packable sides so the kids can eat their brown bag supper on the bus. I got the bread/buns, condiments and several pounds of turkey. A couple of other Mom's are getting more lunch meat.

It is cool out now, so I have my slider open. We will have summer for the weekend and temps closer to fall early next week.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily Check in Oct 13, 2017

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I baked oatmeal blueberry muffins, that is what breakfast is this morning.

I have PT this morning as usual.

I have gathered most of the trash, I will put it out when I leave.

I discovered that the new type of produce plastic bags fit my larger bathroom trash can. It looks so much better then the regular supermarket bags

Not much else is new today.

Penny
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Today, I will do a bit of shopping. Get the bacon at the dollar store and stop at HD and get one landscape timber cut in half for a project and some more stepping stones all on my gift card. The weather is nice for outside work. We are finally below 90.

Yesterday, I got a call from my sister in law, my brother's widow. She wanted to let me know that as I predicted, her house sold quickly. Now she has 30 days to move. She also wanted to share with me the problems that created. I warned her months ago, that she needed to get rid of some stuff, actually a lot of stuff. Putting it in boxes in the garage is not getting rid of stuff. I think her adult children are trying to get her to face reality as well. She and my brother decided to live "well" during their lives and that choice is coming home to roost. She wants her children to take the stuff, but they don't want it. (Glad I live 1000 miles away). I know many of you have relatives or friends that are in a similar pickle. They were in debt and the house sale only netted $30k and her social security is 1200 a month. She has no where to go. She said she is going to be calling me for advice. :roll: I can see that she is a clinger who expects the world to solve problems for her. So I am doubly glad I live far away.

Well, fortunately, I am not going to go there to visit next year as I had planned. My vision problems tell me not to travel. I figure that is advice from another source, one I listen to. And frankly, I wasn't that enthusiastic about the visit. All those people have lived in the same town or within 30 miles of it all their lives. I have moved and traveled a bit and it changes your perspective on things.

I have unboarded several windows from hurricane protection. I won't unboard the rest until the season is officially over in November. I am restarting my garden as well. Irma was a kick in the gut.

I got another pickup clothes etc from a charity postcard. I missed the last one because I was uncomfortable with the day being on trash pickup day. This one is not on trash day. I simply need to get back to going through things. I joined a local free stuff FB group. We will see if I use that. I have to declutter.

Well, feeling energetic today, so I hope it becomes real progress on my many projects. Have a good day all.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. I received my quinine yesterday.. It is the exact same medication that costs $7.00 a pill in the US. It amazes me that I can send an RX order to a Canadian pharmacy and they forward it to the UK. I receive it by airmail with free shipping and it still only cost me .88 cents a pill. What is wrong with this picture?

DG Florida I agree with you on getting rid of things. My Mom did the same thing when she was my age 72 almost 73. I am giving my brother and his wife a very nice china set with all of the extra pieces.. What do I need it for now? They are thrilled to have it but they have three homes right now and I think why? They are actually moving in to a bigger home than they have right now and they have a huge condo in Mexico that they go to in the winter..

Have not heard back yet from Teddi's Nana on what the trade off for Teddi will entail.. I have offered to pay for him on an installment basis. He is a pedigree and did cost a lot of money when they bought him.. I am hoping they will just let him move in for free but they did pay a lot of money for him..

Today I am packing a china set to give to my brother. I will be bringing out another set from a pantry closet. It will have to go through the dishwasher due to being on shelves for years.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I have been up for awhile enjoying coffee and the quiet of the day. It is very cool out almost cold you can see a thick layer of frost on car windows. The sun is trying to make it's way through the haze though so hopefully things warm up a bit.

We have our football game tonight and as it starts at 8 pm, it is going to be a cold one. I plan on dressing in layers and bringing a fleece or knit blanket with me. We will then stay overnight, and go stock up shopping tomorrow. I have all my lists prepared... You should have seen the look on Hubby's face when I mentioned the fabric store. I got the side glance, but told him I need threads, lining, some other notions and fabric... Then he just smiled and said okay, I think he remembers that the fabric store is in a large mall now and near some shops he likes.

Not going to be a frugal couple of days though but the shelves will be full, the freezers stocked and my already lower grocery costs should stay at least that low until sometime in the new year when we will need to do another stock up trip.

Getting all this done before winter arrives is just wonderful. Some years we haven't managed to do it before the snow flies.

The time at home today will be spent getting the to do list completed and I held off buying groceries yesterday so will go so this morning as well as pay bills (tried to squeeze one more no spend day out of the week).

I also need to get out for my daily walk. I took the day off from my long one and could really notice a difference by the time the afternoon rolled around.

I started knitting Christmas gifts last night and because youngest DS will be home for a few days starting Saturday afternoon they will be laid aside and I will spend time catching up in the sewing room. Lots to accomplish in there.

Supper will be out tonight so not sure what everyone will be eating.

Today I am grateful that we are frugal so that we can enjoy doing those things we both love to do.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:45 am Good morning everyone. I received my quinine yesterday.. It is the exact same medication that costs $7.00 a pill in the US. It amazes me that I can send an RX order to a Canadian pharmacy and they forward it to the UK. I receive it by airmail with free shipping and it still only cost me .88 cents a pill. What is wrong with this picture?

DG Florida I agree with you on getting rid of things. My Mom did the same thing when she was my age 72 almost 73. I am giving my brother and his wife a very nice china set with all of the extra pieces.. What do I need it for now? They are thrilled to have it but they have three homes right now and I think why? They are actually moving in to a bigger home than they have right now and they have a huge condo in Mexico that they go to in the winter..

Have not heard back yet from Teddi's Nana on what the trade off for Teddi will entail.. I have offered to pay for him on an installment basis. He is a pedigree and did cost a lot of money when they bought him.. I am hoping they will just let him move in for free but they did pay a lot of money for him..

Today I am packing a china set to give to my brother. I will be bringing out another set from a pantry closet. It will have to go through the dishwasher due to being on shelves for years.
I have a feeling that our drug costs in Canada and the UK are less expensive because some of the costs are subsidized by our respective health care/governments.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/