Daily Check In Dec 3rd

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

Re: Daily Check In Dec 3rd

Post by icfrugal1 »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:03 pm
icfrugal1 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:03 pm Good afternoon,

Just took the raisin bread out of the oven.

I'm planning to sent them away, I am thinking of my step sister and my "Sunday" friend.

My step sister and I have only met once, 32 years ago when my father died. Our parents married after all of the kids were grown.

My step mother lived in another state before they married. She and I talk a few times a year and e-mail.

I was talking to my "Sunday" friend, i feel so bad for her, she works so hard, and full time so she has health ins, but she also has cancer and many of her needs are not covered by her insurance. :x She pays as much as she can, but is in collections, she can't answer her phone because of that. :cry:

She bought a house a few years ago, her house payment is less then rent would be, but she is having trouble with the upkeep of the house. Right now there is bad leak in her kitchen sink, and she can't afford a plumber or a handy man to come in.

She has a 2 bed one bathroom house but does not want a room mate.

She is 66 and we have discussed her taking her SS even though she is working, but .....

IC
Can you start a go fund me for her? Has she talked to a social worker at the hospital or clinic she uses. There are funds out there for people that can't afford those types of treatments. Well at least I know in Texas they do. Good luck to your friend.
I wouldn't do a go fund me, she would be very upset by that.

I know that she talks to her DR about tests ect and let her Dr know that she does not have money, so they keep the tests ect to only the vital ones. very sad.

I have urged her to try to find some help.

Part of the problem is that she has so little energy she can barely get to work and do what she needs to do in her house to go to work. :( But I will talk to her again.

Thank you.

IC
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:03 pm Good evening all.

IC, what a sad case about your Sunday friend. Maybe she could contact her county’s Aging Agency and see if there is any help available. The group here that runs the Meals on Wheels also offers a free service to help with household repairs for those who cannot afford the repairs on their own.

I have had a very lazy day. I have done two loads of laundry, second one is in the dryer now.

Earlier I went to mom’s house just to check on things. Everything was OK. I saw the neighbor who hosted the gathering to celebrate mom. They are leaving in a few days to visit their son.

I picked up a few things at Publix including a gift card for the neighbor who cared for Pippi. Also, I’ve been gradually bringing food from mom’s pantry to my house. I looked at a gift card to thank my cousin but I’m still deciding on which one to buy.

I have a problem with my a/c but I’m hoping it is only the thermostat. It is running fine but I can’t turn the temp down. I looked at the batteries and one was corroded. I put in new batteries but still could not lower the temp. I’ll call the a/c company tomorrow to hopefully come on Tuesday.

Tomorrow I see the lawyer. I hope it won’t take long and be too costly.

Wednesday a friend and I are having lunch. So I’m keeping busy.

I think I’ll start rewatching season 1 of The Crown since season 2 starts on Friday.

Have a good evening.
Thank you. I'll speak to her about an aging program. I know that they have the programs where I live, but she lives in a small town. 50,000 or so.

IC
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

icfrugal1 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:24 pm
floridacatlover wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:03 pm Good evening all.

IC, what a sad case about your Sunday friend. Maybe she could contact her county’s Aging Agency and see if there is any help available. The group here that runs the Meals on Wheels also offers a free service to help with household repairs for those who cannot afford the repairs on their own.

I have had a very lazy day. I have done two loads of laundry, second one is in the dryer now.

Earlier I went to mom’s house just to check on things. Everything was OK. I saw the neighbor who hosted the gathering to celebrate mom. They are leaving in a few days to visit their son.

I picked up a few things at Publix including a gift card for the neighbor who cared for Pippi. Also, I’ve been gradually bringing food from mom’s pantry to my house. I looked at a gift card to thank my cousin but I’m still deciding on which one to buy.

I have a problem with my a/c but I’m hoping it is only the thermostat. It is running fine but I can’t turn the temp down. I looked at the batteries and one was corroded. I put in new batteries but still could not lower the temp. I’ll call the a/c company tomorrow to hopefully come on Tuesday.

Tomorrow I see the lawyer. I hope it won’t take long and be too costly.

Wednesday a friend and I are having lunch. So I’m keeping busy.

I think I’ll start rewatching season 1 of The Crown since season 2 starts on Friday.

Have a good evening.
Thank you. I'll speak to her about an aging program. I know that they have the programs where I live, but she lives in a small town. 50,000 or so.

IC
I live in a county of 10 thousand and we have an aging program. Here it is called DADS. Department of aging and disability
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 am Good Sunday morning all,

One of my frugal FB groups got into a discussion of the recent Congressional tax bills. As usual, there were the sky is falling group, but fortunately, there were some reasonable people posting. It ended up being a good discussion and I learned some things. Some people said they needed to become preppers. Interesting. One person shared a "test" that may determine if you will save on your taxes or not with the new plan. We will with either current proposal. Next year should be interesting.
Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s take on the tax bill Monday morning.

On Monday, McCarthy signaled that Republicans could take care of the deficit issue by making changes to programs like Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. Those social safety net programs account for most federal spending.

Interesting indeed.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:52 am
Dgflorida wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 am Good Sunday morning all,

One of my frugal FB groups got into a discussion of the recent Congressional tax bills. As usual, there were the sky is falling group, but fortunately, there were some reasonable people posting. It ended up being a good discussion and I learned some things. Some people said they needed to become preppers. Interesting. One person shared a "test" that may determine if you will save on your taxes or not with the new plan. We will with either current proposal. Next year should be interesting.
Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s take on the tax bill Monday morning.

On Monday, McCarthy signaled that Republicans could take care of the deficit issue by making changes to programs like Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. Those social safety net programs account for most federal spending.

Interesting indeed.
Did you see what Senator Grassley said. Said people aren't millionaires because they spend their money on beer, women and movies!!