Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Momof2

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by Momof2 »

Today was a no-spend day. I will have to buy gas for my workweek tomorrow on my way home from church. That should be all the money out for the rest of the week.

I am doing well with the no-spend challenge. I allowed myself $10.00 for groceries last week (ending yesterday) and was under budget. I do have a pet budget for their food, liter, treats, etc. so I ordered rabbit food. I found the same brand, but twice the amount for only $10.00 more (comes out to a savings of $1.00 per pound), and I will not have to order it as often which will save me $5.00 each month ($30.00 over the year).

I did not go to the grocery store today. I think I can make it through the week with all meals (I go back to work Monday) along with snacks. I may need to change a meal for one night, but I have what I need for the rest of the meals.

I did purchase a new Christmas tree. It is one of the things I have on my short list of things I am allowed to buy. I did not plan on buying it this early, but it was on a great clearance (about half what I had allowed myself to spend) and is exactly what I wanted to replace my huge tree I now have. It has become increasingly difficult to lug my tree from the storage unit to my house and back again, even with my RM helping. The new one is only 4 feet tall. I almost did not buy it and RM said if I didn’t he would buy it for me- the tree I am replacing is so big and bulky.

I do not foresee spending any extra money (other than the budgeted items) in the next few weeks.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I like the monthly no-spend challenges, but hopefully I will stay on top of things pretty well with an annual challenge too.
------------------------------------------
For January, I am hoping to have 14-15 no spend days... am trying to save up my spending days for my Italy trip which is coming up fast! Am going to factor in 2 "Oops, unplanned spend days too." :lol: I'm not going to do Dh's spending, I'd be buried in no time, and I can only control my own spending.

Thus far, I have spent on Jan 2 & 6th. I was thinking on Friday that subbing is good to make me not spend anything as I'm quite tired afterwards. ;)

Allowed spend: 2
No-spend: 4
Oops spend: 0
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:40 pm RedRobin, I am also staying out of stores (too cold anyway!) and cook ahead this weekend. I need to get going on a couple of loaves of bread and a batch of cinnamon rolls.

I feel a nap will be needed at some point. Naps are frugal. :-)
Truthfully, I quite agree with you, naps being frugal. Because it allows you to recharge your body without needing extra caffeine, imho, and I feel like it is a luxury that I rarely get anymore -- I rarely take one even on days I mention in the check-in that I'm going to do so.
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

So far, so good. Other than having to spend unexpectedly for two ink cartridges I am doing well with staying in my budget. It is easy for me to not spend money during my work week as I eat breakfast at home and pack my lunches and snacks to work. It helps that the cafeteria is a long way away from my department and there aren't any vending machines or anything else to tempt you. Gosh, I know of coworkers that eat in the cafeteria every. single. day. I am sure they have no idea how much money they are blowing on take-out.

I want to start marking my no-spend days on a calendar, too, which I think will help me keep my momentum up. Baby steps!
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

I am interested in participating but I feel that I will have a hard time. I can think of a few items that were or will be in bad shape that I'll want to replace. And it is just so easy to order a replacement online.

I recently replaced a T-shirt I had had for nearly 8 years. It was beige and went with so many things. Found an online sale that actually gave me 2 for the price of 1.

I have a pair of shoes that look like moccasins. They are made of man-made materials though and probably didn't set me back more than $20. Well the seams are looking worn. I want to replace with a higher quality product that will last.

See.. this is why it's so hard for me to participate ;)
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

delighted99 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:47 am I am interested in participating but I feel that I will have a hard time. I can think of a few items that were or will be in bad shape that I'll want to replace. And it is just so easy to order a replacement online.

I recently replaced a T-shirt I had had for nearly 8 years. It was beige and went with so many things. Found an online sale that actually gave me 2 for the price of 1.

I have a pair of shoes that look like moccasins. They are made of man-made materials though and probably didn't set me back more than $20. Well the seams are looking worn. I want to replace with a higher quality product that will last.

See.. this is why it's so hard for me to participate ;)
delighted we can all make our own "will not spend" categories.. If you need or want to spend on things that is your decision.. I just think it is going to be fun and interesting to see how far I can go without buying anything but food and medication for myself and my doggie nephew.. Hope you can come along for some of the adventure. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama