Freezer owners. Did you make the right decision?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Freezer owners. Did you make the right decision?

Post by mbrudnic »

I miss my freezer, but I don't think I'd get one now that I am single. Even though I was close to stores, with 2 sons I'd buy most of my meat at Costco and stock up, It made meals much easier for me when I worked full time outside the home.

Meat can be refrozen if it has not fully thawed or stayed at least as cool as it woudl in a refrigerator. Or you can cook the meat and then freeze it for later meals. Any power outages I had did not last long enough to have to worry about my meats.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

mbrudnic wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 pm I miss my freezer, but I don't think I'd get one now that I am single. Even though I was close to stores, with 2 sons I'd buy most of my meat at Costco and stock up, It made meals much easier for me when I worked full time outside the home.

Meat can be refrozen if it has not fully thawed or stayed at least as cool as it woudl in a refrigerator. Or you can cook the meat and then freeze it for later meals. Any power outages I had did not last long enough to have to worry about my meats.
When I lived in another state and was married to a carnivore and there was a big-time electrical failure for days due to ice/snow - I put all the frozen stuff outside on the deck. On top of the ice & snow, LOL. Nothing thawed out there!
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

For me a freezer is an absolute necessity. If mine quit tonight - I would buy another one tomorrow morning.

We buy our meat in bulk and locally or from Zaycon. We do some gardening (less lately due to health concerns). I use it extensively for frozen precooked meals for times I don't feel well or am lazy and do not want to cook.

I would also say - I would NEVER get a frost free freezer. Even though defrosting is a pain it takes 30 minutes once or twice a year. Frost free freezers cause freezer burn as the get rid of frost by blowing heated air over the surfaces of the freezer. This will thaw and refreeze the top layer of items as well, and cause freezer burn, no matter how well they are wrapped.

My freezer pays for itself many times a year.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Just want to add that Erin just did a great post on this on her blogs. Her freezer inventory sheets are the same ones I use and are vital to keep on track of things. She also has great printable labels for freezer ingredients and meals.

She truly is the Amy Dacyzyn of our time.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I bought a small chest freezer from Sears (manual defrost) in about 1995. Still going strong and it has saved us a ton of money over the years.
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Yes to the am I happy question,but we are all different. here's where I come from ont this issue (and for the record hardly ever cook as such, but eatng out s not my thng unless ts a two hundred dollar gourmet meal twce a year). So:

First let me say that I hardly ever get raw meat and freeze it any more. But I DO freeze alot of meals post cooking. Becaue we are two, and most recipes are four or six and we love leftovers but not the next day. It also allows me to bake, and buy baked goods and freeze them. Even though we are retired, while I CAN cook a great meal, I dont love to, so this is my way of having lots of food.

For example, I have gotten many eight by eight glass casseroles (cause then you can heat in the micro or the oven depending) and if a recipe says use the large casserole, I divide it into two and freeze one-or double it and freeze this. I regularly make this meal here, add lots of olives and just use pico de gallo instead of the onions and stuff asked for-in the casserole and on top and it freezes great. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/tac ... -casserole

So I cook and freeze, I bake and freeze, I buy baked goods and break them down into ndividual portions, and Imake stuff like egg cups in muffin tins and freeze and reheat.

Ocassionally I buy raw meat. like this week kroger has potroast by one get one. But I dont buy the piles of meat that I used to, cause we would rather reserve the freezer for cooked food that someone takes out in the morning and heats in the evening. But that's just us. and were two adults and we have been known to have adult popsicles in the summer, lol.

So basically, that's how I use mine