Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
DianeMNurse

Re: Five Frugal Things You Did This Week

Post by DianeMNurse »

1. Used Xmas $$ to buy night moisturizer and MVI. Keeps both of those items off my budget
2. Free toothpaste from CVS
3. Keeping up with Swagbucks and Mypoints on the days that I'm not working
4. Used Ibotta to get 2 free yogurts at Kroger's - even bigger win in that I had a SB coupon for and addt'l .50 off!! And will get points for redeeming the coupon!
5. Volunteered at Meals on Wheels and there was an enormous amount of ham & potato soup left, so all volunteers left with a container of. Was a lunch and a dinner side!!
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

1. Had a $7 "freecash" coupon for Kmart - good for $7 off any purchase of $7 or more. Had 2 coupons for $3 off any size bag of Purina One cat food. They were $7.99 each - good golly that is expensive - but got two bags and used the two $3 coupons, making them $4.99 each. Had .67 cents in points on my shop your way card - so in the end paid $4.32 plus tax.

2. Came out of Dollar Tree with a bunch of groceries for $15.16. This included 2 containers of soy milk, 6 oz. of cheese, a full size frozen pizza, 2 dog bones, a bag of pretzels and a bag of frosted animal crackers, 4 lb. of flour, 24 oz. of dried pinto beans, a box of crackers, an 8 pack of eggs, cinnamon, onion powder and a bag of ground coffee.

3. The only spending all week has been on necessities (above mentioned items, mortgage payment, electric bill).

4. When doing the above mentioned shopping, I have been ignoring all of the hugely marked down post holiday merchandise - and it hasn't hurt me one bit!

5. Am keeping up with paid surveys pretty well by doing a couple every morning while I have a couple of cups of coffee.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 am Frugalmom, congrats. This week I will visit the Hispanic, Cuban fresh produce store. They are an old fashion butcher. They have some beef on sale. I tried their chickens and just seemed flavorless. Hope their beef is better.
Flavorless chicken-never heard of that-adding spices did not help!? When I go to the Latin American (is that what they call it?)stores I notice the chicken is really yellow -yellow-like food coloring is on it or something-so I don't buy it there bc I am not sure why it is soooo yellow-lol!? Note that i am wary to when I buy beef from Asian stores and ethnic stores-mad cow disease or Jakobsfeld(spelling?) Crutz disease like that and I remember people getting it and I think only Costco that I know of tests for that so I trust their beef but it is so expensive. I mean I do buy it from ethnic store but I am thinking about that as I do buy it!
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Okay, five frugal things for this week are:

1. I stayed out of stores
2. I signed up my generic meds to a new (free) program that my insurance added this year. I wasn't paying much for them at Walgreen's, but free through the mail is way better.
3. I didn't spend any money on fast food.
4. I made soup with the turkey carcass from Thanksgiving and supplies from my pantry and freezer.
5. I saved .70 a gallon on gas at Kroger
Patty
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Frugalmom, yes the very yellow chicken skin bothers me too. It is hard to know where or what you are getting these days. Use to go to the seafood market and buy red snapper. I know it sometimes was tapilia. They look similar fileted, but the taste is different. Only truth would have been in the whole fish and I wasn't doing that level of knife work at that time.
Happychoice

Post by Happychoice »

Aside from the usual frugals, here's the week's roundup:

1. took back bottles for recycling, and $2.60 has gone into Christmas savings. These are alcohol bottles that I have taken out of the glass recycling bin in my building. No one seems to make the effort to return them so they are there free for the taking.

2. bought some personal care items at Shoppers Drug Mart on seniors day, taking advantage of 20% discount plus getting points on my loyalty card.

3. bought small amount of baking supplies at the bulk food store and received the seniors 10% discount. But before I paid, I spotted a couple bins of muffin mixes which were being discontinued and were being given away for free. I took 2 scoops of each and I expressed my thanks to the store manager for this freebie. On the week end I added banana and choc chips along with the eggs into the oatmeal mix and they tasted really good. Nice freebie!

4. received a free Garnier Skinactive Moisture Bomb sample (hydrating mask). I haven't tried it yet.

5. came back from kitchen volunteering on Fri with two meals of pork loin, potatoes & veg. Stretching those groc funds.

6. drove less than 25 miles over 7 days. It's hibernating days right now. :D Stretching the fuel as much as I can.

So far January has been a very frugal month.
Connie
Happiness is a choice!