I think I want a job - but not a big one

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: I think I want a job - but not a big one

Post by MackerelCat »

I don't know if it's a Deep South thing or not, but many churches will not hire clerical help unless the person they're hiring is an active member of a church. And they may not respect how the employee approaches their own personal faith: requiring them to pray at staff meetings and such.

The biggest drawback to working for a church, which is often not an easy job, is that religious organizations are not required to pay unemployment insurance, which means employees who are let go from their jobs have no access to unemployment benefits. (I worked for 13 years for a religious organization.)

You might try signing up with a temp agency, if your Microsoft Office skills are pretty good, and work a couple of days a week.
Mackie
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 am I don't know if it's a Deep South thing or not, but many churches will not hire clerical help unless the person they're hiring is an active member of a church. And they may not respect how the employee approaches their own personal faith: requiring them to pray at staff meetings and such.

The biggest drawback to working for a church, which is often not an easy job, is that religious organizations are not required to pay unemployment insurance, which means employees who are let go from their jobs have no access to unemployment benefits. (I worked for 13 years for a religious organization.)

You might try signing up with a temp agency, if your Microsoft Office skills are pretty good, and work a couple of days a week.
Just the other day on a financial message board I read, a woman in her early 60s wrote in with just that problem. She had worked at a church in D.C, got laid off and now no unemployment. Very surprising.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Great point Mackerelcat.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Many libraries offer free courses in the newer versions of Microsoft office. That might help you get some new skills cheap and spend time productively.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I am interested in a physical, on my feet job. I sit poorly. Right now, I have vision issues with the Mac. Degeneration or I would be looking more vigorously. I also need to consider the tax consequences on social security. This year as the new tax law gets explained, I am stuck in limbo. Doing stuff on the computer is not my strong suit thanks to my eye. :(
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 am I am interested in a physical, on my feet job. I sit poorly. Right now, I have vision issues with the Mac. Degeneration or I would be looking more vigorously. I also need to consider the tax consequences on social security. This year as the new tax law gets explained, I am stuck in limbo. Doing stuff on the computer is not my strong suit thanks to my eye. :(
Once you reach a certain age - 70 or so - can't you work all you want without it affecting your social security tax wise?