Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Starting our 2018 No Spend Challenge

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

GMPG54 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:53 pm Hi ladies,
Belated Happy New Year,
LONGTIME lurker with a spending challenge question...
How do you deal with birthdays, holidays and unexpected occasions?
I'm attempting the buy nothing challenge from the minimalist but I have a bunch of birthdays and 2 baby showers and I don't have a crafty bone in my body!
Thanks in advance,wise frugalistas.
Hello. Glad you posted. My son is having his 30th birthday - tomorrow actually. Now this is a "special" birthday but this mom doesn't have a lot of money and there is really nothing I could buy my son that he can't buy for himself (well...okay, a yacht or something - but neither of us can get that!!).

So...rather than spend money I don't have to spend - I got my son a nice birthday card. Then I cut out 30 squares from some old file folders. On each one I wrote a reason why my son is special or something that I (or people in general) appreciate about him. For example, he is good at fixing things, he is helpful, he has a wonderful sense of humor, etc. I punched a hole in each of these and attached them all through a metal ring that I had from an old set of keys.

I didn't spend a cent on this gift. I had the old file folders, the metal ring, the colored pens. Unfortunately, the weather will prevent me from getting this gift to my son on his birthday but he will be able to spend a nice day at home with his wife. They both work very hard and deserve a relaxing weekend. And she promised to save me a piece of her homemade Oreo cake!!

Another free or nearly free birthday gift I have heard of people giving is to print out a list of facts about the date they were born - like what was the #1 song, how much did a gallon of milk cost, who was President, how much did a gallon of gas cost, what was the most popular movie, etc. etc. For inspiration you can go to "my birthday facts dot com" - and there are many other websites as well.

This is something that can be printed and put into a certificate frame from the dollar store. If you don't have a printer at home, some libraries will let you print for a small fee - ours is .10 cents per page - up to ten pages.

I don't plan to spend much at all on any birthdays this year - other than .50 cents for the cards. My mom has been coveting a large wooden bowl that I have - it was in my garage when I bought my house - and I really have no place for it and it isn't convenient having it in my house. So...for her birthday in May - (or maybe for Mothers Day), I am going to clean up the bowl with some "wood refresher stuff" (also in the garage when I moved in), put some tissue paper in the bottom of it and add some free samples of different items that I've received - lotion, perfume, etc.

My daughter's birthday is also in May - she will get the same gift that I made for my son. I think for my daughter-in-law I will make the "on your birthday..." page and frame it.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

I did some spending yesterday - only to get some extra food supplies for myself and the pets before the snow storm hit. Part of my purchases will be reimbursed as I did a mystery shop at a local grocery store and they pay back up to $7.50 for a purchase.

I spend $19 and change at that store and $6.16 at the Dollar Tree. I am all set with plenty of things to cook with over this long winter weekend. All of my food is pretty basic but it turns into things that are not so basic and quite tasty.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:52 pmHowever, NO - none, zero, zilch - unnecessary spending will be done. Right now if we can't eat it or it doesn't warm us, clean our clothes or dishes (or us :lol: ), help us recover or allow the cars to run, it's not getting purchased.
And that said... It's the 13th and I BITE this month at not spending. It's once again all necessary, all for a specific goal (be that goal "don't die of starvation" or "make the wall beige for listing"), but it's not been very organized. We're about 3 for 13 no-spend.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:44 am
Belated Happy New Year,
I'm attempting the buy nothing challenge from the minimalist but I have a bunch of birthdays and 2 baby showers and I don't have a crafty bone in my body!
Hello. Glad you posted. My son is having his 30th birthday - tomorrow actually. Now this is a "special" birthday but this mom doesn't have a lot of money and there is really nothing I could buy my son that he can't buy for himself (well...okay, a yacht or something - but neither of us can get that!!).

So...rather than spend money I don't have to spend - I got my son a nice birthday card. Then I cut out 30 squares from some old file folders. On each one I wrote a reason why my son is special or something that I (or people in general) appreciate about him. For example, he is good at fixing things, he is helpful, he has a wonderful sense of humor, etc. I punched a hole in each of these and attached them all through a metal ring that I had from an old set of keys.

I didn't spend a cent on this gift. I had the old file folders, the metal ring, the colored pens. Unfortunately, the weather will prevent me from getting this gift to my son on his birthday but he will be able to spend a nice day at home with his wife. They both work very hard and deserve a relaxing weekend. And she promised to save me a piece of her homemade Oreo cake!!

Another free or nearly free birthday gift I have heard of people giving is to print out a list of facts about the date they were born - like what was the #1 song, how much did a gallon of milk cost, who was President, how much did a gallon of gas cost, what was the most popular movie, etc. etc. For inspiration you can go to "my birthday facts dot com" - and there are many other websites as well.

This is something that can be printed and put into a certificate frame from the dollar store. If you don't have a printer at home, some libraries will let you print for a small fee - ours is .10 cents per page - up to ten pages.

I don't plan to spend much at all on any birthdays this year - other than .50 cents for the cards. My mom has been coveting a large wooden bowl that I have - it was in my garage when I bought my house - and I really have no place for it and it isn't convenient having it in my house. So...for her birthday in May - (or maybe for Mothers Day), I am going to clean up the bowl with some "wood refresher stuff" (also in the garage when I moved in), put some tissue paper in the bottom of it and add some free samples of different items that I've received - lotion, perfume, etc.

My daughter's birthday is also in May - she will get the same gift that I made for my son. I think for my daughter-in-law I will make the "on your birthday..." page and frame it.
Sheila these are great "gift" ideas.. When my Aunts were alive they really did not need or want anything so I would make out coupons for them.. ie good for one ride to the country or wherever they wanted to go..Good for one afternoon and a picnic lunch..They loved getting them..It was time with them that they loved the most.. Janet Alliesmama
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:39 pm
2dogs+someCats wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:44 am
Belated Happy New Year,

Sheila these are great "gift" ideas.. When my Aunts were alive they really did not need or want anything so I would make out coupons for them.. ie good for one ride to the country or wherever they wanted to go..Good for one afternoon and a picnic lunch..They loved getting them..It was time with that we spent together that they loved the most.. Janet Alliesmama
Thanks Janet. I can't see spending on something my son/parents/daughter-in-law don't need or want. My daughter is a bit easier - she can always use gift cards in any amount so I will just send her one that I get for doing surveys.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Day 14 and I am doing well. I have not bought anything other than a few fill in groceries. I have not crunched the numbers yet but I paid for them with money I made from surveys so I consider them free..Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama