Carleen's Countdown to 2019...

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Carleen's Countdown to 2019...

Post by Dgflorida »

I though most people end up off diabetic medication when going low carb. Are you a type 1?
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Hi, DG
No, I'm Type 2, diagnosed five years ago (late 60s). Low-carbing is the very best thing for diabetics. We have to remember that carbohydrates and sugars all react the same in our bodies. Our bodily systems do not differentiate between the two food types. There are natural carbohydrates and natural sugars in foods so not all veggies are equal in that regard. No corn or beets, for example.

If someone goes off diabetes meds, that's great. But that's not the norm. Diabetics will always be diabetic - they just maintain total control on their labs which is a very difficult thing to do. Stress is one item that creates havoc with my numbers.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Stress is never a good thing, but it does happen. I hope this journal is stress relief for you.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Howdy, Everyone!!!

It's a bright, sunshiny day here in corn country. When all the snow was measured and tallied, we ended up with a total of 22.8 inches of snow on the ground. Great heaps of snow all over the place! I'm one happy snow bunny!!!

Exercising continues go well and glucose numbers are holding nicely steady. My glucose numbers had risen quite a bit because of the stress of my father's downward slide and subsequent passing. Now I am slowly getting myself together! Golly, I miss him. He and I were a force for so many years when my mother was so terribly ill. Life has gotten very quiet for which I am glad but at what cost...

I've reread three of the Atkins books and finally found the latest one that he actually wrote himself before he passed away. It's updated and is a good read for a recharging of my batteries! It can be easy to forget exactly why one is doing low-carbing in the first place. One of the very first things I noticed when we started doing the Atkins program is the fact that just a few days into it, my joint pain diminished greatly. That's a biggy!!! That is a long time before being diagnosed as a diabetic.

Finding out that I'm diabetic was a real fluke. My doctor suggested some lab tests since it had been quite some time since they were done. He called me (himself) the very next day telling me that I was diabetic and to get in to see him ASAP. What a shock!!!

We might go to the food store for a few items that are on the list on the fridge door. Mostly to get out of the house since we've been stuck home for several days waiting to be plowed out. It was about -3F when we arose this morning but we're warming up a it. I really want to get out into the sunshine!!!

Bye for now. "Old as she was, she still missed her Daddy sometimes." Author: Gloria Naylor.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

Greetings and Sanitations!!! ha, ha, ha!!! I heard that in a comedy sketch years ago and just now decided to use it.

I started to post this message but then the phone rang and I set my papers down on the keyboard - can we say, "erase"??? jeesh...

No huge news around here, which is a very good thing. We're heading into warmer temps. It was 3F when we awoke but it will be going up into the low 20s. I'm hoping we don't get a big thaw as I'm not ready to say goodbye to the snow!

Frugal-wise all is well. We bought some eggs yesterday as we were about out. No other spending, though.

Glucose numbers are still steady and good. See you all later. Stay safe and always be aware of what is going on around you.
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

What are good glucose numbers for you?