Daily Check-In - Feb. 13/18

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-In - Feb. 13/18

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Clem, I'm so sorry that you had to say goodbye to your sweet dog.

Jackie, I hope that the rest of your day goes better. (I remember that my mom always had to rewash dishes that my dad "washed" when he was trying to help.)

Today I'm having lunch with the couple who delivered Meals on Wheels to mom on Thursdays. It will be emotional for me, I'm sure, but I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Yesterday I picked up clumps of leaves in mom's front yard and cleaned leaves off her driveway. It will probably be a mess again today. Also, a neighbor edged mom's driveway and I cleaned up the debris. I also spent a lot of time going through a box with an old build-your-own interior design kit that I loved years ago. A lot of it was in bad condition and I could have tossed the whole box but didn't because I loved looking at it. It was from the '60s.

I'll go to mom's house after lunch and do something, not sure what yet. And a priority is buying cat food since I let myself get down to only one can left.

I tried to sign into the the home insurance policy yesterday and found out that the agent had both my phone number and email address incorrect. I called the insurer directly and got it fixed (needed that info to sign in) but it again makes me question the agent. The numbers in the policy look correct, though, so I'm crossing my fingers.

I called the pressure cleaner guy I've worked with in the past. I want to have my carport and sidewalk cleaned but he hesitated on the price. We are tentatively set up for next Tuesday but he's going to run by here to look at the area and call me with the exact price.

Have a good day.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

It is a cool rainy day, cold for here. It isn’t constant rain, but just a cold damp winter day.

I hope to at least cut out the tote bag I want to make for my iPhone. I have instructions. I will be modifying the size and the shape of the flap. I will also be making it the size of my iPhone. I have the large plus version so I can’t just use a tiny bag.

I have lots of fabric I am not sure which is the best fabric to use. I think I will use denim, as I have a lot of it. I know I won’t make what I originally planned for the fabric. Even though I could mark the fabric with a pencil. But I would prefer to make a paper pattern. I have tissue wrapping paper to use as the pattern.

Penny
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Have been up and at it already this morning. Chickens fed, watered and seem to be happy.
I have also cleaned out the stove ashes and around the stove platform, I am going to hold off bringing wood in as it is supposed to get up into warmer temps this week and I will probably just let the furnace and fireplace do the heating for the most part. My wood burner is big and puts out a lot of heat... when weather gets like this it is too hard to control the temps.

I have to vacuum and clean floors today, chop a big salad and maybe make a pie.
I am really enjoying my tulips, they are just so pretty.
The sun is out but it is still cold out, hoping we don't get the rain they are predicting later this week. IF we do get it I hope it is a least a slow gentle rain that soaks in, the mud it creates is just awful.

Jackie, would you consider using paper plates until your arm is more manageable?

Off to get started again,
Have a great day all,
JCKitty
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

It is grey and dreary today. What a change from yesterday. Yesterday was cool but sunny. Even though it was a sad day due to Bruce's passing, it was good weather. Dreary weather would have just added more sadness to an already sad situation.

I always thought of him as a military dog even though he wasn't. I would tell him "patrol Bruce" and he would run out into the yard and walk the fence. I felt safe with him out there. So we didn't use the nice heavy cardboard box they provided. We wrapped him up in his camouflage blanket.

I told Rusty that he was the big dog of the house now, but he is so goofy - he just looked at me like I was nuts!

So not sure what I will do today. I admire all y'alls activities. I do have the stirrings of wanting to spring clean, but I need the natural light. More sun. I hate turning on overhead lights.

Oh well, hope all have a great day.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

This day, that I thought was starting out so well as I only woke up once through the night instead of two or three times is gradually falling into disarray.

I usually put the dishes away that Hubby washes in the morning. Well today I think I put almost as many back in the sink to be rewashed. Then a knife I was putting away slipped out of my hand, I didn't get my foot out of the way in time and suffered a lovely cut on the side of my big toe. Got the bleeding stopped but need Hubby to help with a bandage placement. Living with one arm is the pits!!!!

Today I really don't plan on doing very much. I want the swelling down in my hand and arm so I only plan on cleaning off the desk (darn paper monster) and making up the list for shopping tomorrow. The rest of the day I will try and be as much a lady of leisure as is possible for me.

Supper tonight will be some leftover ham. Just not sure if I will make it into a casserole or not.

Today I am grateful for a Hubby that does try to help out.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie so sorry to hear about your new injury.. Take care and be safe.. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 am Good Tuesday morning all,

Today the cat visits the vet, so she can't go outside as usual. But we need her up on shots if she is going to be boarded. The girl across the street had 3 cats there. She left one when she moved. I am not sure why. She was back yesterday to feed it. The neighbor is having tree work. Loud chainsaws at 7 am. I don't like hearing them. They make me nervous. So the day begins.

We got an email from hubs brother that the first check from the estate was on the way. I don't know how much it will be or anything. But looks like we will have to discuss it when we get it. I think I will have rain gutters put on the front of the house. I had planned to do it myself, but there seems to be many more places to put my time than there is time. I am still conflicted about the money coming so soon. I prefer to reflect on her memory a while longer.

I suggested that hubs start using his little foot exercise machine again every day to begin building some leg strength. A memorial trip is coming and he needs to be as strong as possible. Also he really wants to get to his goal weight and every little thing helps. Tomorrow he sees the foot doctor and maybe we can get him good walking shoes.

Today my HD garden $5 off coupon expires, so I must go to Lowe's and get some more stones and things. I put about half the bags down on the north end and I really did need to replenish the stones there. Looks much better. We have a chance of rain today, so no painting until tomorrow.

I hope everyone who is feeling poorly today starts feeling better, heals quickly and is at peace. Jackielou, thinking of you. Be careful. Have a good day everyone.
"We got an email from hubs brother that the first check from the estate was on the way. I don't know how much it will be or anything. But looks like we will have to discuss it when we get it. I think I will have rain gutters put on the front of the house. I had planned to do it myself, but there seems to be many more places to put my time than there is time. I am still conflicted about the money coming so soon. I prefer to reflect on her memory a while longer"

I understand what you mean, but most likely your BIL is trying to keep busy, grief is so hard and shows itself in different ways.

I was executor for my mother, and setting her estate helped me with the grief, between my sisters and I, we had everything done in 9 months. There is a lot of "busy" work to be done.

You and your DH are wise to let them handle it. I know that you are wise with the money.

IC