Hello, Clarisse

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
RecoveringDreamer

Re: Hello, Clarisse

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

colonialgirl wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:05 pm Dogs are the biggest bargain on the planet. Great company and unlimited love for the price of a home and some food and care.

Bless you for taking this little blind angel and giving her the happiness she deserves. I truly hope there are hot corners in hell for people who would blind a dog or hurt them in any fashion. I hope they die soon & rot in hell.

I wish you all that Clarisse lives a long healthy, happy life full of love for all 3 of you!
It is quite a bargain! I hope she ends up being one of those toy poodles that lives to 25. :) We are so excited to see how she adjusts to everything. She is so smart and learns so quickly. We are planning on taking her hiking (while she can't see the views, the smells would be epic) and to festivals and introduce her to her cousin-pups.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
RecoveringDreamer

MackerelCat wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:16 pm Oh, she is adorable! What a cutie! Your description of how happy she is now just about made me cry with joy.

My older dachshund girl is going blind from progressive retinal atrophy, a genetic disorder. She still gets around well, but the vet told us not to move the furniture once she learned her way around a room.

Like others here, I hope that puppy mill owner gets a particularly large lump of flaming lava to sit on in Hell for all of eternity.
I've cried a few times after she has her crazy-cuddles. What an amazing dog. <3

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, but definitely want you to know that life after blindness is still really wonderful, just a little different. "Living with Blind Dogs" is a book I highly recommend, especially as it will help you adjust to your baby losing her eyesight. It will also provide lots of great tips for helping her adjust. Blind dogs can still do darn near everything a sighted dog can: swim, hike, play fetch, snuggle, guard the house (Clarisse is all over it if someone comes up to the house).

Also, check out the FB groups "Blind Dogs" and "the bright side fun page for blind dogs members only". The first is an excellent resource for getting advice and help during the transition and living with blindness. The second is the member's only club for the blind dogs group. It is the page full of the happy stuff: videos of dogs doing fun stuff, success stories and lots of pics of smiling pups. Definitely has been a lifesaver for me.

Not sure how things are for a dog going blind slowly and at a later age. Clarisse is awesome. She navigates the house so well my parents didn't believe that she was blind. They adapt really well. She can learn to navigate through the kitchen even when we have guests and the chairs keep getting moved and doesn't hit anything. One thing that helped a lot was teaching her a word to swerve (The first time I saw her headed for something, I shouted "OOP!" as it was the first thing that popped in my head. Now when she hears oop, she swerves perfectly. I was telling my dad that and he was watching her and when I said "oop" in my story, she swerved. haha
A Life Beyond Money

RecoveringDreamer

BevMoore wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 pm She is adorable! I'm glad she now has a wonderful home.

Bev
Me too! Her rescuer loved her so much, but they had some family crises on their hands and couldn't properly care for her. I am so glad that we get to pour love on her for the next decade or two. <3
A Life Beyond Money

RecoveringDreamer

micogo wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:31 pm So precious!!! And I love her name!
Thanks. I renamed her because I couldn't stand the previous name and it was the name given her by the mill owner.

I chose Clarisse after the character from Fahrenheit 451. She was a young girl who saw the world differently than everyone else. She lived for autumn leaves, eating rain and picking dandelions. She was vibrant and full of life in a world lacking in anything real and authentic. Thought it was an apt name.
A Life Beyond Money

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Oh that is funny - when I heard Clarisse I immediately thought Silence of the Lamb. Also a brave, admirable character.
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

What a sweet girl! Bless you both for giving her such a wonderful home.