Daily Check in April 16, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChristmasTrees

Re: Daily Check in April 16, 2018

Post by ChristmasTrees »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 pm Congratulations to this year’s winners of the Pulitzer Prize.

One of the most horrible things happening in our country is the cry of “fake news” when it is news that someone doesn’t like. I know this is having an impact and will likely have a lasting impact. But a free press is instrumental to our democracy.

Today the NYT and WP each won several awards. No surprise. Their reporting is exemplary.

But communities with smaller papers should be so proud. In Maggie’s area, the Cincinnati Enquirer won the Pulitzer for Local News, reporting on the heroin epidemic in the area, such an important issue. I’m not sure if they’ve won a Pulitizer before but I know their staff is thrilled today. Congratulations.

In California, the Santa Rosa Press Democrat won the Pulitzer for Breaking News for their coverage of the terrible wildfires. They have only won one Pulitzer in the past, for photography. Well done!
Well done to all winners!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:32 pm Greetings Friends. Oh how I wish I had time to read through all the posts and catch up with you all!!!

Welp, my medical bills so far are $4,163.60. Insurance is covering all but $1044.27. I see that as GOOD NEWS. My employer will reimburse $650.00 of that and I am going to apply for "charity care" for some of it as well. I don't like to - but man I have been hit by one thing after another for the last couple of years.

I am very busy tonight with yet more paperwork, filing, etc. Then sorting coupons and receipts - the paper monster never dies!

Haven't had supper yet and that needs to be soon as I'm starving. Lunch was two yummy baked potatoes with homemade cheese sauce and broccoli. Even though I still can't walk my dogs I did manage to do a bunch of cooking over the weekend.

I hope you guys are all well - I miss everyone. Walking is still a challenge but steady improvements - just slow.

Take care everyone and Think Spring!!! Thinking of you all fondly!
Sheila so good to hear from you.. Wishing you a quick recovery.. Bummer on the bills for medical needs.Seems like no matter how hard we work at things something always comes along that we had not planned on. Take care..((hugs)) Your friend Janet
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:51 pm
Jackielou wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 pm
floridacatlover wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm I’m back from lunch with my friend. We had a good time. He could retire but continues to work to pay for the little extras that make life nice.

To get to the restaurant, I tried out the WAZE traffic/directions app. It says there are 100 million users so some of you may use it. When I was in Fort Lauderdale and told my friend there that I got lost going to the Japanese Garden in Delray, he told me about WAZE. You download it to your phone (free), it locates where you are, you put in the address where you are going and it tells you how to get there as you go. The best thing is that it is audio. (In Lauderdale I was trying to look at the map at traffic lights.) It worked well today and made automatic adjustments when I didn’t follow its directions (did not want to make a left turn out of the restaurant) so I will definitely use it again. It is owned by Google.

I ran by mom’s house and the stuff I put out this morning was gone. Either trash - or someone - picked it up.
Sounds like our GPS system in our vehicle. I love it.
Jackie, is your GPS system built into your car? That sounds great. My cousin has one of the portable GPS - Garmin or something - and I’ve been in the car when he used it. I’ve never had a GPS in part because stubborn me never felt I needed it. But I’m finding that using some sort of system like this really helps. Maybe my next car (not for 4 years) will have it built in.
Yes our GPS is built in. We do have a portable one we use when hiking in places we have never been before. Keeps us old folks from getting too lost.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:32 pm Greetings Friends. Oh how I wish I had time to read through all the posts and catch up with you all!!!

Welp, my medical bills so far are $4,163.60. Insurance is covering all but $1044.27. I see that as GOOD NEWS. My employer will reimburse $650.00 of that and I am going to apply for "charity care" for some of it as well. I don't like to - but man I have been hit by one thing after another for the last couple of years.

I am very busy tonight with yet more paperwork, filing, etc. Then sorting coupons and receipts - the paper monster never dies!

Haven't had supper yet and that needs to be soon as I'm starving. Lunch was two yummy baked potatoes with homemade cheese sauce and broccoli. Even though I still can't walk my dogs I did manage to do a bunch of cooking over the weekend.

I hope you guys are all well - I miss everyone. Walking is still a challenge but steady improvements - just slow.

Take care everyone and Think Spring!!! Thinking of you all fondly!
Ouch Sheila, it is when I read things like this I am glad that I live in Canada. ((Hugs)).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/