Money wise...things that I need to remember

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Money wise...things that I need to remember

Post by clemencia2us »

icfrugal1 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:08 pm I have been spending money like it's been going out of style :(

Not just the big things like the pool re-plastering, the new garage door, and cleaning the garage out.

I've been "dribbling" money away, the other day I bought 5!!! yes, 5!!! rolling pins. https://myropin.com/collections/rolling-pins. $89.00

WHY?????? I bake, but for the most part I don't bake cutout cookies.

I have no idea where I am going to put them :( I'm trying to de clutter not re clutter!!!

I think that I am taking some steps backwards :(

So at 2% those rolling pins are costing me the interest earned from $4,450 for one year!!!!

What am I thinking!!!?????

IC
can you send them back? Why five??
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

icfrugal1 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:08 pmI've been "dribbling" money away, the other day I bought 5!!! yes, 5!!! rolling pins. https://myropin.com/collections/rolling-pins. $89.00

WHY?????? I bake, but for the most part I don't bake cutout cookies.

I have no idea where I am going to put them :( I'm trying to de clutter not re clutter!!!
So you'll barely if ever use them and have nowhere to store them? Call the co. and cancel the order, or send them back. Even a restock fee will cost you less than $89 AND you won't have to store it ;)

Retail therapy is dangerous and expensive.
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

This has been a pretty spendy year for me too. We are doing fine financially since I got my new job, but sheesh. The biggest expense was that I bought a brand new car, my first. My cousin has always done my mechanical work for about 90% off what you'd pay elsewhere. That was the only reason I could afford to have two cars for a long time and the only reason I felt safe taking a job that required 500 miles/week commute. Well, my car broke down on the way to work one day, and my insurance left me stranded blocking a lane of traffic during rush hour for 1.5 hours. I ended up having to burn a vacation day that I had to borrow from next year (first year I technically don't have any days, but can borrow up to 3 from the next year, which would leave me with only 7 for that year). Then my cousin ghosted for over 2 weeks. I couldn't let myself go through that again. I started looking for a solid used car. I will only buy/drive one particular car for safety/value/quality/fuel economy reasons, but they do hold their value so used cars aren't super cheap. Fortunately my employer has a special deal worked out to get us new cars cheap. I ended up paying $4k more for a brand new base model car that gets 41-46mpg than a similar car with 75k miles that would get closer to 30 mpg. When it is all said and done, it is costing me about $150/month (since I'm saving so much in gas and was able to roll the $2k I owed on my previous car into this loan and avoiding the $120/month payment on that), plus $50 extra in insurance. It is all smart and necessary, but ack!

We adopted a dog a few months ago, so we have had lots of vet/grooming bills while getting her where she needs to be as well as getting items that she will need (winter coat, life jacket, beds, leash/collar/harness). Most of those items will be one-time or just rare purchases. I think we are getting it under control now. My new job pays me almost twice what I was making before, so we are okay, but I want to make sure that I don't double our cost of living.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I am finding they I am unable to stay within my self-imposed budget for food & entertainment. It's not extremely extravagant, but I need to figure out why such a disconnect. I already increased my budget several months ago. I seems I am hitting the grocery much more. is it my eating plan? Am I being a bit more indulgent that I have int he past? But I need to track and make some decisions.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Maggie, staying within my budget has been hard for me also the past few months. I don't have to adhere to one by the dollar, but I like to stay within what I have allotted myself. I have always stuck to a budget and I have found that it gives me structure.

I guess being a home owner you always seem to be bleeding money or so it seems to me. I see something every month that needs to be fixed or repaired and now that there are so many things I can't do and don't have a man around to do have to have hired done. The problem there also includes getting someone out to give you and estimate and actually do the work. Handymen in our part of the country could stay busy 24/7 if they wanted to. They are definitely in demand, maybe because the population is getting older.

My lawnmower man picked up my riding mower for serving last Thursday and it's not back yet. I haven't called him yet, but the grass is getting high and if it's not home by tomorrow will give him a call.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Sorry to hear you have all joined my club. We are getting hammered with expenses. Had a big plumbing bill, owed income tax, recliner mechanism broke and had to replace the chair, property taxes are due, hubs dropped a hearing aid at the golf course and it was ran over by a golf cart, so now they have to be replaced. All told it came to around $14k of unexpected & expected expenses and then our friends called and said we are going to take another cruise - this one to Hawaii in January. Timing.

I realize of course that we don't have to go on the cruise - but I am starting to wonder how many more vacations we will have together at our age. And I guess we could not get a chair or replace the hearing aids, but I sit in the chair every day and to my way of thinking hubs has to hear. I just hate to take money out of savings but when this many things hit us at once, I don't have a choice. I am grateful to be frugal that we have $ to cover, but gee whiz.

I just always try and cut back and pay unexpected bills out of our income but too much hitting at once to do that. I tell you, I could be a happy rich person, I truly could.

PS - I LOVE the rolling pins!