Daily Check in May 11, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in May 11, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

Got a surprise last night as a hello came echoing through the hallway. Youngest DS decided to come home last night. Really surprised me, but I guess he figured it stays light out longer he could come home after work.

I finished pinning the quilt last night and did a bit of a trim on it. Now, it is in the sewing/craft room and I will work on it over the next few days. This means if I want to do any regular sewing I will get to use the new machine that Oldest DS bought me for Christmas.

Hubby bought me an early Mother's Day gift. I got a pair tree!! The tag says it should start producing fruit in about 3 years. Hubby of course says he will be over 70 and who knows if we will still be here, but I will enjoy watching it flower.

Spent quite a bit yesterday, but this is the beginning of planting season and it always seems to cost a bit more every year. I bought some bigger planters and hope to be able to cut down on the number of flower boxes and plantings I have strewn around the yard. It is going to be difficult to haul the watering can around this spring, summer and fall. Now I need to decide where these are going to be positioned and what/how many plants I will put in them. I do have a couple of larger planters that I will add to these as well as the baskets. I do go a bit overboard, but colour is so lovely in the months we can actually be outside.

Frugally speaking this day will be like all the rest. Sometimes I think the days just roll one into the other seamlessly with both of us trying our hardest to manage household expenses thriftily and frugally. Then bam, planting season, renovations, and hobbies seem to make us go a bit crazy. Oh well I guess that is what being frugal is about, being able to go a bit hog wild, and then climb right back onboard to save for the next project or two.

Meals as usual will be made at home, using what I have on hand. Today is cloudy and kind of cool so I am glad I changed the menu around as it feels like a soup and sandwich day. I have some mushrooms that need using so Cream of mushroom soup and egg salad sandwiches seem like a good idea.

I think I will bake a cake as well as my sweet tooth may be acting up a bit and we can send some home with youngest DS.

Walking for exercise this morning, and doing the few household chores listed on my to do list will use up some of the morning. I am off to do a bit, then I get to have a cup of coffee (it's that beastly morning where I take a pill and wait for an hour).

Today I am grateful youngest DS came home for a visit, a fishing excursion, and to help his dad with a few chores around the house (mainly getting the last two items off the deck).

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
rinty

Post by rinty »

itspennyc wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am I woke up too early this morning. But so far I am not tired. I did sleep for 4 hours straight so that helps.

I made Oatmeal Blueberry muffins for breakfast. I used up the last of the blueberries I had. They are on my list again. It is one of the fruits I can eat at least for a while. I also put bananas on my list for Saturday. I can eat pears also but they are not in season. I have canned pears in my refrigerator.

My budget is much tighter this week. Because I need to pay for the implant on Tuesday. I had to take money out of my very small saving account. But I had it so I could lay it out. I have no dental insurance.

I have a load of towels in the washer. I only have one wash load today.

Other then this I expect a very quiet day. It has been 15 years since my son was killed in an auto accident. At least this year it isn’t on Mother’s Day as it was the year he was killed.

Penny

((((Hugs)))) to you , Penny. A hard day for you.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

by rinty » Fri May 11, 2018 10:09 am

itspennyc wrote: ↑Fri May 11, 2018 7:40 am
I woke up too early this morning. But so far I am not tired. I did sleep for 4 hours straight so that helps.

I made Oatmeal Blueberry muffins for breakfast. I used up the last of the blueberries I had. They are on my list again. It is one of the fruits I can eat at least for a while. I also put bananas on my list for Saturday. I can eat pears also but they are not in season. I have canned pears in my refrigerator.

My budget is much tighter this week. Because I need to pay for the implant on Tuesday. I had to take money out of my very small saving account. But I had it so I could lay it out. I have no dental insurance.

I have a load of towels in the washer. I only have one wash load today.

Other then this I expect a very quiet day. It has been 15 years since my son was killed in an auto accident. At least this year it isn’t on Mother’s Day as it was the year he was killed.

Penny

((((Hugs)))) to you , Penny. A hard day for you.
Thank you.

Penny
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Penny,

Thank you for sharing, prayers and hugs and and good thoughts.

IC
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

Jackielou wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:47 am Good morning fellow frugalites

Got a surprise last night as a hello came echoing through the hallway. Youngest DS decided to come home last night. Really surprised me, but I guess he figured it stays light out longer he could come home after work.

I finished pinning the quilt last night and did a bit of a trim on it. Now, it is in the sewing/craft room and I will work on it over the next few days. This means if I want to do any regular sewing I will get to use the new machine that Oldest DS bought me for Christmas.

Hubby bought me an early Mother's Day gift. I got a pair tree!! The tag says it should start producing fruit in about 3 years. Hubby of course says he will be over 70 and who knows if we will still be here, but I will enjoy watching it flower.

Spent quite a bit yesterday, but this is the beginning of planting season and it always seems to cost a bit more every year. I bought some bigger planters and hope to be able to cut down on the number of flower boxes and plantings I have strewn around the yard. It is going to be difficult to haul the watering can around this spring, summer and fall. Now I need to decide where these are going to be positioned and what/how many plants I will put in them. I do have a couple of larger planters that I will add to these as well as the baskets. I do go a bit overboard, but colour is so lovely in the months we can actually be outside.

Frugally speaking this day will be like all the rest. Sometimes I think the days just roll one into the other seamlessly with both of us trying our hardest to manage household expenses thriftily and frugally. Then bam, planting season, renovations, and hobbies seem to make us go a bit crazy. Oh well I guess that is what being frugal is about, being able to go a bit hog wild, and then climb right back onboard to save for the next project or two.

Meals as usual will be made at home, using what I have on hand. Today is cloudy and kind of cool so I am glad I changed the menu around as it feels like a soup and sandwich day. I have some mushrooms that need using so Cream of mushroom soup and egg salad sandwiches seem like a good idea.

I think I will bake a cake as well as my sweet tooth may be acting up a bit and we can send some home with youngest DS.

Walking for exercise this morning, and doing the few household chores listed on my to do list will use up some of the morning. I am off to do a bit, then I get to have a cup of coffee (it's that beastly morning where I take a pill and wait for an hour).

Today I am grateful youngest DS came home for a visit, a fishing excursion, and to help his dad with a few chores around the house (mainly getting the last two items off the deck).

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
My thoughts are that the whole point of being frugal is to enjoy your passions.

Save where you can don't skimp on the JOY!!!

YEAH for your pear tree!!!

IC
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Update

The pear tree is planted, the deck cleared off, air conditioner in the window, and the treadmill downstairs. Things certainly get accomplished when youngest DS is here.

Tomorrow morning I will place the planters where I want them and then go shopping for plants. We still have a bag of soil from last year so I will use that to start my planting. I am so looking forward to an oasis on our deck this summer.

Very cool, windy and cloudy today so the men are going fishing tomorrow. I will get things ready for the BBQ and then spend a relaxing day. Probably, do a bit of baking (a cake and perhaps mini donuts) and pull out one of my sewing machines to sew the garment I have cut out.

Off to see what is new on the forum.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/