Great Frugal Story

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Great Frugal Story

Post by floridacatlover »

96-Year-Old Secretary Quietly Amasses Fortune, Then Donates $8.2 Million

A saver, but helped along by being a savvy investor. Love it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/06/nyre ... v=top-news
DesertNay

Re: Great Frugal Story

Post by DesertNay »

I love millionaire next door stories. I found this one fascinating. Thanks for sharing.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

So generous, but disappointing knowing the avenue she chose to leave her wealth to.

I have zero respect for universities, due to the exorbitant tuition fees they charge. Education isn't about education anymore, it's about money-making.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

She left it for scholarships for needy students. I find that incredibly admirable. If excess profits are the cause you find abhorrent, I would save my wrath for Oil Companies, Big Pharma and Insurance companies. Education may cost money but it enriches on multiple levels.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Scholarships for students who need them!! How very generous of her.

I agree CG education does cost money, it doesn't matter if it is university, community college, high school or elementary school. All levels cost something. Yet and education pays back a thousand fold giving us doctors, lawyers, dentists, and well rounded adults that perhaps understand the world just a tiny bit better.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

colonialgirl wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:57 pm She left it for scholarships for needy students. I find that incredibly admirable. If excess profits are the cause you find abhorrent, I would save my wrath for Oil Companies, Big Pharma and Insurance companies. Education may cost money but it enriches on multiple levels.
Tuition at colleges and universities, public and private, have tripled over the last 20 years.....because the schools know students will borrow money to pay for it, whatever the cost. Inflation on $1 in '97 is $1.50, today. That tuition dollar is $3, today.
ohjodi