dollar stores ripping off the poor (?????)

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

dollar stores ripping off the poor (?????)

Post by icfrugal1 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dollar-store ... 05060.html

I do shop at The Dollar Store, but I don't need to buy basic things there like milk or flour.

I do buy toothpaste, tooth brushes and dog pick up bags, general kitchen stuff.

of course i have a car, so i can and do go to a regular store.

IC
jstore97

Re: dollar stores ripping off the poor (?????)

Post by jstore97 »

I have noticed that the packages/weights of items at the Dollar Tree have shrunk.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

jstore97 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:47 am I have noticed that the packages/weights of items at the Dollar Tree have shrunk.
yes, things are 'cheaper' there, but they are smaller.

I would buy dog biscuits there cuz I thought it was less expensive, then I realized the box was smaller - not much, but enough to make a difference.

Have you noticed that the cans of tuna they sell such as name brand like Star Kist, do not have the easy open top? What is up with that?
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

icfrugal1 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:20 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/dollar-store ... 05060.html

I do shop at The Dollar Store, but I don't need to buy basic things there like milk or flour.

I do buy toothpaste, tooth brushes and dog pick up bags, general kitchen stuff.

of course i have a car, so i can and do go to a regular store.

IC
IC, I often think about this when I am in the Dollar Tree and see the smaller packaging. I think it is so hard for people in poverty to ever get the best bang for their buck. I know from my own experiences with couponing that it takes spending money to save money and that is not always possible for everyone. Thank you for sharing this.
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

I think dollar stores are terrible for the poor. There are very few things that aren't much higher per ounce because of the packaging size. Given that these stores are often the only source of food in certain neighborhoods (other than perhaps a convenience store that, if you're lucky, may sell a banana), it keeps poor people poor. So many of my clients when I worked in food security didn't drive, so they ate whatever the stores in walking distance sold. Of course, Kroger sells ketchup for $1 for a container twice the size of the one at the dollar store. While that isn't going to be a game changer, enough modest savings can add up over time.

The thing I am loving right now is how the food security community is coming into the poor neighborhoods and bringing produce and fresh meat/milk. There is a church that opened a produce "store" that is free for all people, no income or zip code requirements. The food bank has a farm in my neighborhood (and another on the other side of town). They also do free produce giveaways where they partner with farmers to get their surplus or not-good-enough-to-sell items to give away. Those giveaways will include small eggs (they are smaller than anything you can get at the grocery, but you just use more and they make adorable deviled eggs!), potatoes that may have a nick in them and thus won't store, corn on the cob that doesn't have evenly developed kernels over the whole thing (these are still fantastic for freezing), apples or peaches that may have a bit of bruising (great for baking or smoothies), split cabbages, peppers with bad spots and sometimes baked goods from the grocery that didn't sell. Positive change is coming.
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com