Frugal tasks when time is not an issue

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
Jenny

Frugal tasks when time is not an issue

Post by Jenny »

I have a lot of time on my hands right now and not a lot of money, so what are the best ways to spend my time in frugal activities?

I am hanging my laundry as much as possible (inside and out) and am considering hand washing the dishes to save the electricity and detergent required for the dishwasher. Any other tips or tasks that anyone can add?

Thanks!

Jenny
Jenny
Jackielou

Re: Frugal tasks when time is not an issue

Post by Jackielou »

Darn socks, mend by hand.....
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

I've read that hand-washing dishes uses more water than dishwashers ... then again, you have the electric costs to consider. BTW, you can hand-wash some clothes.

Cook from scratch ( or near scratch) as much as possible. If you have time, you can use a slow cooker to make meals ahead. If you eat desserts at your house, you can bake cookies, quick breads, etc., for a great deal less than store prices.

Any small DIY projects you can tackle around the house? (YouTube is a great resource for learning how to do things.)

Do some research into things like insurance rates, etc., see if there's a better deal out there. Same with items you might use often ... is there a way to buy them in bulk? Find a new, less expensive source?

If you haven't checked out the Five Frugal Things threads, take a look ... might give you some more ideas.
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

This is when I'd get some major cooking done, myself. Spice blends, teas made, sausages, dehydrated or frozen fruit, frozen convenience meals, salad dressings, baking for the freezer, etc. Anything I can do that makes healthy convenience less expensive later when I don't have the time. Plus, real, whole food is very important to me and to my family.

Currently I am done with canning and working on those projects myself. I need to have some things ready before meat processing from hunting season and then the chaos of wrestling season hit full swing.

This week I am doing pumpkin muffins and bread (lots to freeze), some pumpkin creamer, homemade mayo, ranch dressing spice blend and some ranch dressing naturally. I'm also going to mix a few tea blends from the herbs I dried earlier this year. I'm going to make a big pot of chili and some hummus as well as breakfast burritos for the week. It's an easy grab and go for my family.
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I would definitely exercise if I had more time. Do you have space for gardening? Even in winter it's possible to grow some greens like spinach if you have a sheltered sunny spot.
Winter is time for garden planning. If you never tried dehydrating foods, this would be a good thing to practice. Dehydrating saves food and reduces storage space requirements.

You could also try volunteering at thrift stores or food pantry or anything else you are interested in. A great way to meet people and understand where free or reduced price goods are available. My community also has a time-bartering system. Once you register, you can perform tasks you feel capable of doing (weeding, painting, running errands) and in return when you need help with something (ride to the airport or computer help for example) then you can put in a request. It is based purely on hours and no money is exchanged.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Thank you all for the great tips!! I am taking notes and have some new stuff to try and some research to do for some other things.
Jenny