Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2018 Miserly Minimal Expense Journal

Post by SandiSAHM »

July.... who knows.
August? I'd guess 2 out of 10.

Arranged for gutters to be put on week after next, $$.

Fence week after next, too, unless rain messes things up schedule-wise.

I'll be back in September when there's nothing left to... Make that October, in Sept DH says he's building a deck.

I met the nicest man today. I've had his company gutter 5 of the 6 houses I've lived in here and always talked with his son, but today he came out himself. I hope I'm that smart, focused and spry at 80-something!
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good luck on your projects. I do relate. I just had rain gutters put on.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:33 am Good luck on your projects. I do relate. I just had rain gutters put on.
I remember; we also have a rain barrel coming for installation also as DH is a gardener, plus the hose attachment can be used to transport rain water out of the barrel and way down the hill away from both our foundation and the guy next door's. Doubly useful barrel - oh, and pretty, its greyish and looks like brick. I had no idea they made such a thing until DH emailed me the link to it.

I read here not too long ago, something about rain barrels, 2 houses ago we put in 4 on a house in a semi-rural area, they weren't "pretty" - they were the color of pimentos, with black lids - but they were upcycled restaurant pickle barrels.

Which restaurants get their pickles in 50 gallon barrels, I wonder.

At any rate, they worked great to collect and divert but this time the downspouts are going in differently and the garden is going to be like 10 feet from the barrel, so he knows exactly where to put just the 1. After that we get to rearrange a front flower bed, I don't know what the landscaper was thinking.

At that point we can worry about deck and not have to give much thought to out front until spring, stick some flowers out there because this place, pretty high-dollar landscaping going on out there, need to prove it can be done on your own just as well as hired ;)

Seriously, no one here does ANYTHING for themselves. Gardeners, maids, people who pick up dog droppings, all hired. Sheesh. I have 2 teenagers, all those functions are free ;) My kids are talking about hiring themselves out if the neighbors are willing to pay and I told them, post-academic work, because school comes first, knock yourselves out. I've done books for businesses before, I can tell you how to account for your expenses... You what? You thought you were going to use OUR lawn mower :o

To start, 'til you can afford one of your own for the business, then we'll talk about depreciation and how it helps you. Kids!!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

3 of 11 and I'm too tired to give much thought to going out for sneakers tomorrow (my lace thing on one sneaker is suddenly killing the top of my foot), so there's hope for 4!
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Rain barrels are so neat. I admit I bought 2 of them. The county gave me one free for listening to a lecture on water conservation. Of course, here in Florida in the summer rainy season, all are full. I do need to rearrange gardens to accommodate the available water. Well, after the rainy season. I do like that it is getting water away from the foundation. The rainy season creates a lot of green/grey areas on the house and concrete. The barrels will greatly reduce that. I hope you enjoy yours as well.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

today will be 4 of 13. 30.76%

One of my feet is slightly swollen on top and reeeally painful. I don't believe it's broken, as I can't remember anything happening to it.

I ALMOST wonder if I've gotten into some wheat. But it's been going on for days, so, that's probably not the culprit. Plus my guts don't feel like they usually do when I've ingested anything I shouldn't have.

So, anyway, no shoe trials on a sore foot, so... No spending on shoes right now.

I hope to stay home today. Make some soup, make some bread (my people will eat soup the hottest day of the year and think it's great, so... leftovers get frozen for DH's work lunches), do laundry, organize some things.