Daily Check in Sept 17, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in Sept 17, 2018

Post by clemencia2us »

icfrugal1 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:52 am Good morning ,

An exciting day, hard to believe that we have only had Goldie for 6 weeks, we take her in the vet today for her 3rd set of shots. I'll be surprised if she is much less then 25 lbs. I still have to carry her until given the ok. :roll:

We hope that we will be able to walk her outside the house soon. I also want her to be fixed as soon as possible, the vet office has said that they like to wait until she has had one heat . (what the heck????) If you get a pound puppy, I'm sure that they don't wait until 6 months.

IC
She does not have to wait until she has had one heat cycle. They spay them here at 8 weeks if they are within the weight limit. I would look for another vet. That kind of thinking sounds so archaic.
Carleen

Post by Carleen »

I'm all for finding another vet. The main thrust at our vet has been to have the spaying done BEFORE the first heat. Even our little rescued kitten was already spayed when we adopted her as a tiny little thing.

Our male dogs were spayed very early, too.

Please consider going to someone else. There are even spay clinics that have cheap/free spaying - call an animal shelter for info on this. I am positive they won't tell you to wait until after the first heat!!!
Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

This is from a low cost spay and neuter clinic in san Antonio:

Is your pet eligible to be scheduled for their surgery appointment? Please note: all dogs and cats must be at least 8 weeks old and weigh at least 2 lbs. at the time of surgery
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Had a good laundry day. Getting easier and easier.

Met with some friends for lunch. Old school friends. We are all going through interesting times. :mrgreen:

You would think that at our age, we would be settled at home knitting. They both have kids. One might have grandkids. The subject didn't come up.

Both no longer attached. I tell you life throws you some curves.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Floridacatlover - the mushroom talk and hike was very interesting, but in some ways I am more confused than ever. Most of the white mushrooms all look the same to me, except the shaggy mane which aren't to a lot of people's taste anyway (but grow in huge profusion on people's lawns usually after the first frost). The only ones I feel are distinct enough would be the lobster mushrooms, chanterelle and morels. The yellow/orange/red mushrooms in our region are all edible and not poisonous. If you get the wrong species though, some taste terrible to the usual palate.

This week the Conservation authority will be taking me on an archaelogical hike. Bus transportation is free from a central site where we all meet for a mini lecture. Best of all, absolutely free! You just had to register. I'm also attending a free pilates sampler offered by our city's Fun, Fabulous Babes group. You must be over 55 to be eligible. I didn't know retirement would be so much fun!
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Glad to see a couple of people pop in, Blondie, Bev. glad you came by.

Morning was a bit crunched. The inspector showed up and I needed to be with him since he was in my house and the yard guy as well. I caught him just before he weed wacked my oak sapling. I tried to explain that you don't wack around the base of trees because their nutrients go up through the "skin". He said but they need to be cleared so they can breath. :roll: I also pulled up a couple of volunteer hibiscus before he ate them. He thought they were maple trees. :roll:

I told him that was good and I wanted to start planting trees. He said he saw a place nearby, but I said I looked online and only saw wholesale places. I asked what he would charge. He would have to think about it. I must be getting old because I am happy not to have a bunch of people on my property. "I want to be alone". so to speak.

He prefers cash over a check. I said ok that day. I had the money, but then he informed me the next time that he had lost his wallet, ID....can't cash a check. Never found it. but never reported it, I guess. Not a problem, but it suggests he is likely illegal. Interesting.

Today, I am grateful that I am far from my old Houston neighborhood. A friend from there says there are some bad things happening. I encouraged him to get that house in the country built sooner than not. Have a good day everyone. Be safe.