Daily Check in Oct 2, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Oct 2, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,
At work. Not longer have time before work to check in.

After work yesterday I visited my boys (and DDIL) for a bit and then met my friends for dinner). No time to unpack anything. Tonight will be another late night going to watch DS2's concert.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Oct 2, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Here I sit wrapped in a shawl for warmth, hoping that the sun rises very soon. I really dislike how long night is during the fall and winter. I do love how I get to stay in and do all those little house and craft things I love though.

Yard furniture is mostly put away, garden tiller is stored for the winter. I need to do a final pick up of the yard and the ornaments if we get a nice day this week. Then the yard is ready, like Hubby's garden, for the upcoming season.

Frugal happenings here today will be the usual. I do plan on baking the bread I didn't get at yesterday and perhaps making some unbaked cookies, and a few different bars (puffed wheat cake for one) as desserts for the coming week and weekend.

My soup turned out lovely yesterday. I wanted a big batch so there would be enough to freeze for another meal so I used two containers of stock. I made enough for each of us to have a bowlful last night (Hubby had two), and froze a container which will serve us another meal down the road. I even managed a tinfoil meal for youngest DS.

Laundry needs to be started. I will hang what I can and the rest will need to be put in the dryer. Not my best way of saving on electrical costs, but necessary some times.

Of course I will be taking my usual morning walk. It is actually a bit warmer today and as long as it doesn't snow or rain it will be nice to stride down the sidewalks.

This afternoon I plan on finishing up this ball of salvaged yarn and starting the next. This shawl is working up very nicely and if I can find more yarn at the Salvation Army thrift store or the other second hand store in town I may just fashion one for myself in the future. Until then I have enough knitting projects put together from my stash to keep me busy for a good long time.

Supper tonight is going to be that last bag of roast pork from the fridge freezer. I plan on making a stir fry and using bits and bobs of veggies from the veggie bin. It usually makes enough for two meals for each of us. Pulling out the instant pot to make the rice.

Today I am grateful that it seems to have warmed up a bit. I know we have snow coming again very soon so this respite is wonderful.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning

Pups woke me up way too early

Have a couple tasks I plan on completing today. I feel like I am on a deadline. Sheesh. I hate planning things. I wasn't supposed to be this involved. I have flaky friends.

Later going to the city night out event. Are y'all having one?

Have a great day.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Tuesday morning all,

Today, I get my eyes checked for a new glasses prescription. Next week, I get an injection in the eye, so I wanted this done with some time to recover. Depending on how I feel, I may then go to Walmart market to get my favorite salad oil, avocado and sunflower oil mixed. I don't buy olive oil anymore. I have experienced too many bad olive oils. Enough already. The avocado oil adds a green taste to the home made Italian dressing. I was nervous about making it, but I am pleased with the results. And home made is much cheaper than buying the packets. A great frugal change.

Yesterday, I reused the hoses off my old washing machine. When it had to be replaced, they said I had to have new hoses or I would void the warranty. The problem with washing machine hoses is they are female on both ends. However, I have been wanting to make DIY sprinklers from soda bottles. And the bottle requires a female end. So the double female hoses are now hooked to the rain barrel by a splitter and today, I will try out my new sprinklers. Recycling is frugal.

My neighbor is going on a short vacation and she has given me food out of the frig. I gladly accepted it, but I just defrosted several things of meat. So now I have a lot of food to sort through.

Someone has released Moscovie ducks in the neighborhood. These are ugly domestic ducks. They are not welcome here. I told my neighbor, who will likely get rid of them, that I eat Moscovie ducks. So if the birds make the mistake of going on his property, I will have duck on the menu.

Today, I am grateful that I am no longer on medication. Keto has eliminated my need for thyroid medication and has drop hubs weight 90 lbs and freed him from diabetes. Have a good day everyone.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I am very tired this morning.

I have about half of the things put back after moving for the carpet cleaning. There are still things to go back.

I have the appointment at 11 am for the nerve conduction tests. I see my regular Dr on Oct 12 to decide what is next.

I suspect I have compression in more then one area. But I am pretty sure I do have cubital tunnel. That is compression of the ulnar nerve at the elbow. It is very painful to have my elbow bent more then a minute or two. Holding the phone with my left hand is painful inside the elbow. I don’t know if I will know anything today.

This morning I have to start tackling the dishes I didn’t do yesterday as the kitchen was too full of other things to do them. The dishwasher and dish drainer both need emptying. I will be slowly tackling the dishes.

Penny
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning,
Moving up around this morning, the next two days I have off. The Union Gospel Mission should stop by my house sometime between 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. to pick up the electric recliner and the headboard and frame for the bed we will not be using. Really feeling the progress on tidying up the house and getting things purged I do not want laying around. I also will be gathering up a few other small items, gently used sheet sets and such, and driving over and making a donation too. I plan on taking a peek around some thrift stores in an attempt to find a decent floor lamp I can use in the corner of my living room. Currently all we have is the big main light in the ceiling of the living room and it is mighty bright when we turn it on and would like something that offers a softer glow.

Want to get around to doing a light house cleaning too. Ever since we became kidless and dogless (dog lives with kid :lol: ) my house is super easy to keep clean. Usually some modest sweeping and dusting around the house and giving the bathroom the usual scrub and that is about it! It is very nice.

I already have a pretty good menu plan set up but I may take a look at it and add to it. The grocery store DH works for has 0.99 a pound whole body chickens on sale which is a good price for our area so I may mosey over and see if I can get a couple to tuck away for later this winter season. Roasted chicken on a cold wet evening...Yum!

Well, other than that, not too much going on here. I am keeping a low profile and keeping it frugal. Have a great day everyone.