LWolfT's frugal journal/musings

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
LWolfT

Re: LWolfT's frugal journal/musings

Post by LWolfT »

Ah, the joys of having a high-deductable insurance plan ...
Bills are rolling in for DH's exam/x-ray/cortisone shot last month. We get the discounted rate, but the bills are on us till we hit deductables. (Course, if I'd known we'd be charged $$ extra for showing up after 5 p.m., I might have actually dragged DH over there earlier.)
And upcoming are the bills for the visit with the new doc, plus tests ....

Also in the world of insurance ... DH now gets limited dental benefits from his employer. It pays for a cleaning. That's it. No exam. (Buy an exam, get a cleaning free, perhaps?)
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

LWolfT wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:54 am Finally got around to canceling my Amazon subscriptions today.
They used to have the best deals on things like cat food and TP, and it was nice to have that stuff delivered.
But prices seemed to be going up on a regular basis, and I'm finding I can get the same or comparable items at better prices elsewhere. And I can still get some of it delivered.
What really annoys me is that some of the cat food I used to buy is now for Prime members only. If it were at a rock-bottom price, it might be worth it, but again, I can get it at the same or lower prices elsewhere, so no point in paying for Prime to get it.
Wolf I have been able to order some prime things and I do not have prime. The only time I was denied was when it was prime pantry or there was a note that stated prime only. I too use to enjoy buying from them but the prices are not that much different compared to local. I only buy from them when I earn gift cards on BING or My Points otherwise not worth it.
Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

You know, I'm always amazed at many of you folks who can rack up no-spend days. Seems like there's always some little thing here ... we're out of garlic, or deodorant, or something. (I keep a running list, but don't always get a warning about some things ...)
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with you and the difficulty of no spend days. I did them for awhile and then realized that they were not bringing me the satisfaction I expect with frugal activity. So I asked why. To no spend meant missing an opportunity to save on something I wanted or needed. And I liked the savings I could put in my hand. Now in theory, I saved more by staying home, not using gas etc. But it wasn't savings I could feel. So I compromised and used the multiple trips philosophy in buying. And I am happier.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

See grocery stores here run their sales for a week or sometimes 2 weeks. They don't have special one day sales. I get great frugal satisfaction by not driving my vehicle for days on end thus saving gas and saving maintenance costs.

Doing all my errands on one day where possible also saves me time on the other days when I want to work on my projects. Don't have to stop them in order to jump in the car and buy something.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Two week sales would be nice! Our stores are going the opposite here.
I think I'm just a frustrated this week because too many little things have popped up. I've been wrapping some of those stops around errands I've had to do, so at least I'm not using extra gas.