Daily Check In December 11, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In December 11, 2018

Post by Jackielou »

Getting another cup of coffee (it's a two cup morning). Back in a bit.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check In December 11, 2018

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I made the dental appointment for DS2 and an appointment for my car. I still need to schedule my Mammogram. I need gifts for my DSisIL1 and niece and I have some sewing and wrapping to do. I have not got a tree up nor any of my nativities out. I have my Christmas coffee mugs and some of my Drummer boys. Not sure how much decorating I will do.

For the extended family party Christmas night, which is organized this year by Mom's family and my late Uncle Mark's daughter's, I am organizing (very late, but with this folks it is ok) and little kids gift exchange and buying gifts for Santa to hand out. The exchange is optional, so I am waiting to hear back from one more parent. If her son is not participating i will put my grandson's in and take care of the gifts myself.

So tonight is a "free" night. I plan to sew.
Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It is going to be a day where we hit temperatures above freezing here. This means melting snow and later when it gets colder the formation of ice on walkways and roadways (being winter here on the prairies it will get cold again). Climate change is really playing havoc with weather patterns and precipitation amounts over the past few years.

Today once again my list is fairly long. Lots of little things to do, kind of one off items (one shirt and one knit object to press, in the case of the knit more a blocking thing), some papers to clear off the desk and shred, that kind of thing. More a lets get rid of some household miscellaneous weekly build up and of course some of my regular tasks that need doing every Tuesday come rain or shine.

We will be packaging up the bacon today. Hubby got his wines started and can now turn his attention in that direction. He cuts and I manage to package and seal everything. Need to get the bags made before he starts though.

Still waiting to hear from the hair stylist. I call yesterday and got directed to the message machine. So until I hear from them, making a doctors appointment to get the results of the latest cholesterol test will have to wait.

This afternoon I hope to be working on the baby blanket and putting together the Secret Santa gift. There is one or two little things I want to add to it before sending. With our mail problems up here it probably won't reach the recipient until after Christmas.

Frugally speaking there should be no spending today and I am looking forward to stringing a few of these days together this week. Should have at least three more no spend days this week. I need to update my challenge to myself. I will also be using up items in the fridge freezer. There is a bag of leftover chicken that is calling to be used today.

I need to make more of an effort to get the goals list accomplished this month. I am hoping once I am almost done knitting the baby blanket (about 1/4 of the way right now) I can quickly sew a few of the items on the list. I may set aside the knitting for a day or so next week to see if I can get a couple of items done before Christmas (like the top I cut out). These things will use up my stash of fabric a bit which really needs to be. Yarn stash is slowly going down and I hope to be able to get things in totes and drawers that are on the floor very soon. Using up yarn I have had for ages making prayer shawls seems to be working very well.

Supper tonight is going to be a chicken casserole. I plan on using some of the broccoli I bought along with some of the bits of leftover veggies while concocting this feast (have no idea how it will turn out). I just hope it tasts good.

Today I am grateful for the gift of seeing the sun rise each morning through our front windows.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
A nice sunny day ... currently 24, but it's felt colder than that. Didn't sleep all that well for various reasons, so I do need more coffee ;)

Went off to a Christmas concert last night at one of the area churches (probably about the 10th year we've attended). Fun time, as usual.

Anyway, a bit of Christmas shopping today so we can get things mailed to the out-of-town relatives.

Oh, and the roaster cord showed up in yesterday's mail!!! Now I have to see if I can stop the replacement. Gah!
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning,

I am nursing what's left of the lovely head cold DH gave me. Mine was much milder than his, as he refuses to take any multivitamins or get his annual flu shot. He seems to catch a cold each year and most years I don't get it from him but he was hacking and coughing all over the house and in his sleep and I just knew I wasn't going to evade it this time. I started drinking Airborne and taking lots of vitamin C and echinacea tea as soon as I saw the first signs of his cold and I think it really helped lessen the impact of the cold on me.

So, because of the cold, I haven't been as productive around the house for a week. I am feeling better and need to get my tush in gear and get out my tree and decorations to put up for Christmas. My stepdaughter (DH's older daughter) who is 25, is expecting her first baby in the Spring. I think now that she is going to be a mommy she is suddenly into wanting family gatherings etc., and wants to have a get-together at our house for Christmas. It will be our first big family tradition since we moved into the main house. I will have turkey and ham and fixing and the kids can bring a dessert and drinks. The only catch is if DSD 21(who lives in the apartment next door) is going to want to attend because of the awkward situation with her lazy bum boyfriend. Both she and he know we all disapprove of his lazy behavior but I am going to set it aside in the spirit of Christmas but I can't tell you if there still won't be awkwardness in the room since the last time we all got together as a family for a summer BBQ, lazy boyfriend stuck around long enough to eat his steak meal and then made an excuse to step outside and just didn't come back. Bleh, I am not going to dwell on his behavior, what will be will be. Won't let it dampen my Christmas spirit.

I will spend time paying some bills today and tidying the house, take a peek at my budget and update my ledger, get out to the shed and bring out my holiday decor and set everything up. I wish I still felt better to I could tackle the dead leaves under the tree in the back yard but I think by this time next week I will be up to it. I also need to go get a haircut using my Great Clips discount card. I will also take another look at my weekly menu plan and add to it as needed. All in all I have a busy couple of days ahead of me and I should get myself moving. Everyone take care and frugal on :) .
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Last night I looked all over for 2 missing penguins, I found one. It turned out I had already put the other one in the bag for my daughter. Thus the reason I couldn’t find the penguin was he was already at my daughter’s. But meanwhile I had looked all over for him.

I have gathered my trash and put it out. I started the chicken for soup so I could put out the packaging too. I never cook and make the soup the same day. I want to get the fat off it first. Much easier to do the next day.

The only project on my needles right now is my sweater.

Penny