DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

Office is re-arranged. Hooray. A lot more space. Still need to go through some stuff, save or toss.

Focus on fallen leaf control and gardens if the weather warms enough and the wind is light. It looks like a do something day.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

Another do something day. More leaves and some patio leveling. Then take off the shutters and hunker down for the stormy weather the next 2 days. I need to do some repair sewing. Then predicted warm weather through the end of the year.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday am

The rain is upon us. The cold days will be late Friday and Saturday. We will be near the lowest temperatures this winter so far on Saturday night, so I will put up the shutters. I will crockpot the turkey breast on Saturday and cook down the bones as well on Saturday. That should keep the house warm. If I make it through Saturday and the chill on Sunday morning, I should be able to go without turning on the heat until after the New Year.

I re-arranged the office room a few days ago. I moved the spare bed against the north wall. I read that concrete walls really don't have a high R value, better than uninsulated wood walls, but not very good. So anything added to the wall, helps. The bed was against an inside wall.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

Today is the day to see if I have guessed right about the house temperature. Soup is cooking on the stove and smells good. After I make hubs lunch, I will prepare the turkey breast for cooking and get it started. Even if the meal is a bit early, it will taste good.

I am having some difficulty deciding on my goals for 2019. I know that I want a second shelter for yard equipment. Handyman and I have discussed it and agree. I also want to enclose the south end of the porch and make it an outdoor cooking center. If I can prepare meals outside in the summer, I won't heat up the house and so I won't need as much ac. And that will be $$$ saved and that is the frugal way. I have looked for outdoor kitchen designs on the internet, but I have not found what I want yet. The handyman suggested I put regular windows in the south end. I don't need the fancy ones required for houses here in Florida. There is no venting to the area and therefore it is not considered living space. The Home Depot guy said that I should contact a mobile home place because Home Depot cannot sell cheap windows, but there are no rules for mobile homes. Educational.

I also want more trees. I have lots of oak trees, but I want more pine trees and several red maples. I also want some cedar trees. I like them. Only one type grow here, so I will have to go to a place that can get them. One red maple will replace the oak I had taken down at the southwest corner of the house. It was looking poorly. A lot of dead limbs. It actually was fairly healthy inside, but it location posed a risk to the house. I have 2 more near the house that I am watching closely. I give them 3 more years. Most of the laurel oaks start to die at about 50 years old. It is their time.

And of course, I will continue building my several patios. One in the front and one in the back. And there will be this and that to do. I have decided to continue to dig out the front ditches as well. I also need to figure a better way to irrigate the front flower beds.

That is as far as my plans have gotten.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

DG you always amaze me at your landscaping projects.. You are always doing something. The cooking outside kitchen is something I would love to be able to do as well but not sure how or where with the way my house is designed. Good luck in 2019 with all of your plans. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks Janet and good luck in 2019 to you.