An Egg By Any Other Name

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: An Egg By Any Other Name

Post by colonialgirl »

Wow Randamax -
I bet you were flummoxed. Nothing you can do but ride it out - but $4.00 per egg? Wow.

I just bought eggs about 1 and 1/2 hours ago - a dozen large was 79 cents. My best egg dish is called German Farmers Breakfast. It is diced potatoes with green pepper, onion, bacon, cheese and eggs. OMG so good and so filling.

Making deviled eggs - I put the cooked yolks in my food processor and whirl it a couple of times until they are fluffy. Add mayonaise, a small square of mustard, sweet pickle juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Whirl again. Sorry - no amounts, I do it by taste. I like my eggs sweet not bitter. When I take them anywhere they are the first thing gone - never a leftover. The sweet pickle juice is the key. We don't like sweet pickles but buy they for the juice.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

colonialgirl wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 pm Wow Randamax -
I bet you were flummoxed. Nothing you can do but ride it out - but $4.00 per egg? Wow.

I just bought eggs about 1 and 1/2 hours ago - a dozen large was 79 cents. My best egg dish is called German Farmers Breakfast. It is diced potatoes with green pepper, onion, bacon, cheese and eggs. OMG so good and so filling.

Making deviled eggs - I put the cooked yolks in my food processor and whirl it a couple of times until they are fluffy. Add mayonaise, a small square of mustard, sweet pickle juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Whirl again. Sorry - no amounts, I do it by taste. I like my eggs sweet not bitter. When I take them anywhere they are the first thing gone - never a leftover. The sweet pickle juice is the key. We don't like sweet pickles but buy they for the juice.
CG, if I'm making deviled eggs for anyone other than myself I add sweet pickle relish to mine. Since I've had to start watching what I eat and pickle relish is on my list of eating less of something I leave it out of mine. One thing I have never done is putting the yolks in the food processor and I will have to try that.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I used to mash them by hand but you always got the occasional hard lump. yuk. They are so much better in the processor.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

hey all,
I have my own hens so can't say how much eggs are except for Aldi's, I watch their prices .Right now 89 cents a dozen.
I use my hand mixer to make my deviled eggs, and basically the same as yours except per dozen eggs I add 1 tablespoon of butter...it makes them so creamy and they set up nice in the fridge.
IF I take them anywhere for gatherings, they are gone like sleeves off a &#@!! If I make them just for family and on the off chance there are any left, I use them in potato salad...omg...so good.

JCKitty
it blocked the word D I C K Y , a neck covering that resembles the neck area of a turtleneck, LOL
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Wow, $70 for two is beyond my limit. My friends and I go to some nice places and my share us no more than $21-$23. This is no more than once every other month.

I don’t eat a lot of eggs, mostly for cholesterol purposes. But I bought a dozen recently for .93 at Aldi. I like them scrambled or, if I’m splurging, for French toast.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

jckitty wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:41 pm hey all,
I have my own hens so can't say how much eggs are except for Aldi's, I watch their prices .Right now 89 cents a dozen.
I use my hand mixer to make my deviled eggs, and basically the same as yours except per dozen eggs I add 1 tablespoon of butter...it makes them so creamy and they set up nice in the fridge.
IF I take them anywhere for gatherings, they are gone like sleeves off a &#@!! If I make them just for family and on the off chance there are any left, I use them in potato salad...omg...so good.

JCKitty
it blocked the word D I C K Y , a neck covering that resembles the neck area of a turtleneck, LOL
LOL!!! I was going to ask what the sleeves off a ......meant. I know what a d#i#c#k#y is....but I have never heard that expression.....hysterical!